Rename and quickfill rules (Q Mac)

Treville
Treville Member ✭✭
Is there a way to disable the renaming and quick fill rules? The updates to these features have made them less useful for me. It would be great to be able to just turn them off.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Not at this time, but the project manager has made it clear that he wishes to soon add the ability to disable it if you prefer.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    While we have to wait for a user-preference to disable automatic creation of QuickFill rules to be added to Quicken, I believe Payee Renaming Rules are still only created if you check the box when editing a payee name. Therefore, if you go Window > Payess & Rules > Renaming Rules, and delete them all, then none should be created unless you check the box while editing a Payee name.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Treville
    Treville Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience. I'll watch closer but I've had to go through and clean out rules multiple times.
  • RickO
    I could be mistaken. I pre-enter 98% of my transactions before download. It may work differently when you're downloading first.
  • Treville
    Treville Member ✭✭
    I pre-enter most of mine as well. Just did a few. Yes, I can turn off the box but I'm still presented with multiple options for a Payee even with no Renaming rules and 1 Quickfill rule for that specific payee (no sub items). Just makes entry a little more laggy even on a late model computer.
  • RickO
    Could you post an example of what you're seeing as a screenshot?
  • MaconTime
    MaconTime Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I agree. I want to pay my water bill and notice after I save it, it autofilled with Macon Water Products. My water company is Macon Water Authority. So I type in the correct name for Macon Water Authority and now it wants to rename all similar transactions Macon Water Authority. It causes me more work to correct the Autofill and then try and get rid of the renaming rule than if there was no Autofill and Renaming Rule at all. If I want a rule, I'll create it. Quicken doesn't have to do that for me.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In the current version (5.16.1 as of this writing), there is now an option under Preferences:Register that allows one to disable the creation of new rules:

That said, I suggest you give the new rules a try. Sure, it initially appears confusing/complicated/more work, but it really isn't when you see how the program behaves.

You don't have to be babysitting a bunch of rules (my initial thought) when you figure out what is going on. It does save time-especially with manual transaction entry which is what I normally do.

The developers have fine tuned/tweaked this a lot since it was first rolled out a few months ago.
This discussion has been closed.