Why do payee names change after downloads?

When I download from the bank, the payee names have changed so I have to go thru and do matchups.

Best Answer

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Check for renaming rules in menu Window > Payees & Rules (top menu bar).
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • I have Quicken Essentials 2017 (for Mac) and I'm not seeing Payees & Rules on my menu bar
  • RickO
    My comment was for current Quicken Mac. Sorry, I have not idea about Essentials. Never used it. 
  • It was the only version I could get when I bought my Mac. The About menu calls it Quicken 2017 but the title on the bar says Quicken Essentials data.
  • RickO
    You are using Quicken 2017 for Mac. The reason the title bar says Essentials is because that was your file name when you were using the older Quicken Essentials and QM2017 kept that name when you upgraded from Essentials to QM2017. 

If you want to change the file name, click menu File > Show (filename) in Finder. Then quit Quicken, rename the file in the Finder, then double-click the file again to relaunch Quicken.

Quicken 2017 does not have payee renaming options as does QM2020. However, you might want to click menu Quicken > Preferences then Connected Services and uncheck the following option:

See my post in your other thread about the ending of support for QM2017.
  • Please explain renaming options. Will QM2020 rename my Payees to the bank name as QM2017 did? BTW, I did unclick the Clean up payees box. Thank you.
  • Tom Auer
    Tom Auer Member ✭✭✭
    Is there any way to prevent payee names from changing case after updating accounts? There is a regional grocery store chain named Quality Food Centers, and commonly abbreviated QFC, that changes to Qfc every time I update my accounts. I know how to change all instances back, and do so after every download, but that's a really annoying misfeatures, and I'd very much like to turn it off.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Tom Auer  Other users have been writing about this same issue in this thread. I suggest you use the Report a Problem function on the Help menu in Quicken to report this issue. The more people who report the issue, the more likely it will make it to the developers for a fix.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.