After a Quicken Update and restart an old file is loaded.

Options
For about a year or two, after updates the last few months or so of entered transactions were gone and I would have to recreate them. It drove me nuts. Finally I figured out that after an update and then restart quicken was loading an old file (not the file that was being used just prior to the updated starting).
I switched to a different laptop about the time this all started. The new laptop was my wife's and her account is the administrator account so I just created a new account for me and then a "Quicken" folder in which I manage my backups (on my new user). As it turns out, after an update, rather than just tracking the file that was open prior to the update and opening that after the update finished Quicken is opening the file in the Quicken folder under my wife's user. Once I figured that out I can go to open file and open the recently backed up one I was most currently working on and, as long as I backed it up just before the update, not lose any data. But ideally it would be nice if I did the update and when Quicken finished and reopened it would load the same file that was loaded before the update.

I suspect it has something to do with her account being the "administrator" account but am not sure. Is there a way to designate where my "current" file is located and thus Quicken would look there for the file after an update. Yes, i can work around it but if my wife or daughter jump on Quicken and it auto-updates and I happen to be gone it quickly becomes a rather large mess.

I hope I explained it well enough. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TFast

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello TFast (@Tfastle)

Thank you for taking the time to share your question with the community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

May I ask, was Quicken installed on your Windows profile?  Or installed under your wife's Admin account?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • tmtraylor1950
    tmtraylor1950 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same problem here. I opened quicken today and there was an update so I installed it. When I started up quicken, everything from the last year was gone. So I went to my last backup and reloaded it and then started from there. I am using the same computer and account that i have been using for years, so I don't think that is the problem. I make a backup every time I use Quicken because there is a fair chance that there will be a problem, especially after an update, and when it does happen, it can be a total mess.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where is your Quicken data file saved (exact location)?
This discussion has been closed.