Sync/Downloaded Duplicate transactions cause by the mobile app

Platform: Windows 10 with updated Quicken. iPhone with Quicken Mobile installed

Issue:
I use desktop quicken and enter most of my transactions. About every 2-3 days I will catch up my receipts and then download from the back (using Express Web Connect) and reconcile with my register. This process works great. I started using Quicken Mobile so I could enter transactions anytime I did a POS or transfer in real time. This works great most of the time and I don't have to save receipts. When I open the desktop I enter transactions for receipts I do not enter into Quicken Mobile. Then I sync with the cloud and get those transactions and reconcile with the register. After that I download from the bank and reconcile with the register. This process seems to work well except as described below.

I have had a couple of times where after the cloud sync, multiple duplicate transactions have synced. The duplicates have been 2-4 of the same transaction. Because of this, I have had to take hours cleaning up the transactions before clicking the Accept button on each transaction. I have to accept the correct one and delete all the duplicates one at a time. Your program does not allow me to select and delete multiple transaction at the same time in the downloaded transaction window. As a result the process is very time consuming. I have noticed that this problem occurs most of the time after several days of not syncing the cloud. If I sync the cloud almost daily before items clear the bank, it works OK. This issue has caused me so much time that I have decided to stop using the Quicken Mobile app.

In reality, I should be able to enter any transactions in the desktop or any in the mobile app, sync with the mobile app, and download from the bank and any time.

As it stands now, all I can use right now is the desktop.

Any insight to my process or the issue I am would be appreciated.

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited April 2020
    Hello @Alan Devan,

Thank you for providing the details of this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that by going to Help>About Quicken

If you have not already, I suggest taking a look at the information available here for more details and steps to troubleshoot duplicate transactions downloading into Quicken.

You may also consider resetting your Quicken Cloud, and any other steps you may find applicable, as outlined in this FAQ.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Alan Devan
    Alan Devan Member ✭✭
    Natalie,
    I have become very frustrated with Quicken to the point I am considering using a different program. I am using Version 27.17 Build 27.1.26.17

I have stopped using the mobile app but I have continued to sync with the cloud looking at it the mobile app on my phone. The other day I noticed on the mobile app that there was multiple duplicate transactions in the mobile app. When I updated my desktop today with some transactions I was not concerned because I have not been syncing with the cloud. I have been updating transactions from the bank and comparing them to what I have entered. I have also recently reconciled with my desktop with the bank statement.Today after entering transactions I did an update with the banks and multiple duplicated cleared transactions appeared in the downloaded transactions window!! Very frustrating!!!

Fortunately I did a backup before I did the update so I closed that sessions, so I opened/restored my backup into a differently named file. I turned off the cloud mobile & web sync did another update transactions and the same thing happened. I closed that session, opened/restored a backup file into another file. This time I deactivated my online services for all of my accounts. I activated one of my accounts and while I did not get any duplicates, I did get transactions from over a month old. And your program does not allow for multiple deletions in the transaction download window so I have to do each one individually. I am at my wits end with this program!
  • Alan Devan
    Alan Devan Member ✭✭
    Natalie,
    Someone replied to this thread and I received it in my email but it does not appear in the Community? He was basically saying that he has experienced the same issue after upgrading Quicken. I'm letting you know so you know I am not the only one.

As for my status, I had to restore/create a new file from my backup with a different name. I have stopped syncing to the cloud. I deactivated the online services from all (6) of my bank accounts, backed up, and now I am activating them one at a time. When the transactions download from the bank I am not getting duplicates but for some reason it downloads transaction back from mid March. Since your program does not allow selecting and deleting multiple transaction in the download window I am forced to delete the old transactions individually. This is a very labor intense task. All this because there is something wrong with your cloud services and allows duplicate (2-4) transactions with no apparent reason. You should know that when this happened I was not using cloud services (neither mobile or web), only syncing. I would look at the mobile app on occasion just to confirm it was the same as the desktop. That is where I would first see the duplicate transactions. Some were transactions that I had not yet entered into the desktop so I know they came directly from the bank. However, the bank did not have any duplicates so I know they are being generated by your programming. And once again, when I update transactions in the desktop and they appear in the download window it is very labor intensive to delete them. I am hoping this will stop when I stop syncing the cloud services. But this defeats the purpose of cloud services. This is messed up!!!
  • jimbutton1
    jimbutton1 Member ✭✭
    I'm having a similar issue

Q user since "Dial-up"

• jimbutton1
    jimbutton1 Member ✭✭
    Yes...this is happening to me also. Or the transaction date is changed...even on "reconciled" transaction. It became bad enough last month that I archived all transactions prior to 3/27/2020 so that I wouldn't have to look so far back to see where Quicken had moved it. So much for having a spending history.

This happens everyday. The first 10 minutes of use is trying to figure out 'what Quicken has done' before I can actually balance my accounts.

I called Quicken last month and screen shared so the tech could see...he told me the issue would be escalated and I would receive a call-back. They've yet to call.

I've used Quicken since 1992 and this is unacceptable.

Q user since "Dial-up"

• Dionna Milem
    Dionna Milem Member ✭✭
    I recently upgraded to Quicken 2020 and am experiencing something similar. Some of my transactions that are entered with the mobile app will transfer over to the desktop version, but some do not. I'm also getting duplicate transactions as well.

Definitely need some assistance in getting this resolved. Resetting the cloud data has not worked for me.
  • Alan Devan
    Alan Devan Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all that have replied with similar experiences. I really wanted to use the mobile app to enter transactions in real time and then simply sync with the desktop when I had time. This problem has caused me to completely abandon cloud services and use the desktop only hoping this will resolve the duplicates. But as I said before, not using cloud services defeats the purpose of the mobile app. My overall objective was to not depend on the bank balance because I have a lot of automatic withdrawals that I have setup in Quicken desktop and using the mobile app should always give me an accurate available balance even weeks in the future. However, this problem makes that process impossible. Someone at Quicken needs to look into this ASAP! Let's keep pushing!
  • Dionna Milem
    Dionna Milem Member ✭✭
    Chatted online with support tonight regarding the issue I'm seeing.
    Here is what I was told regarding the mobile app:
    "if you setup the downloads the best is keep the download and just attach the receipts with the phone"

"as I mentioned before if you download the transactions we do not recommend to enter them manually. then if you are gonna use everything manually you should deactivate the online services for the accounts"

I'm very disappointed that I cannot enter my transactions into the mobile app in real time. It seems that the app is just to attach receipts.

I wish I had not upgraded now.
  • Dionna Milem
    Dionna Milem Member ✭✭
    I disconnected my bank account as recommended in my chat with support in order to be able to use the mobile app for entering transactions real time. However, this did not work either. The synchronizations appears to only go from the desktop file to the mobile app, but not vice versa.

I've used Quicken for 15 years, but I have decided to request a refund. I hate that I am no longer able to use the app and the desktop software as I have in the past.
This discussion has been closed.