My computer crashed and now I am trying to get Quicken 2003 backup to open

Hello, my computer crashed and now I downloaded quicken 2003 to my laptop. When I try to open my backup up copy it tells me I need the deluxe version. How can I get this to open up? I only use it to keep track of my bank accounts and don't do any online downloading or anything.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy.

Thank you,

Carolyn

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that it really was Quicken 2003, a 17+ year old unsupported version, that was running on your crashed computer? Or have you in the years since then upgraded to a newer Quicken version?
    Old Quicken versions are incapable of opening and restoring backup files that have been converted and processed by a newer version.
    What version of Windows are you running on the laptop?
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. I'm running Windows 10. Yes, I know it's an old version of Quicken but for what I use it for and it was working, there wasn't any reason to upgrade. Also, I believe if I were to upgrade I'm supposed to use 2004 in order to get my 2003 ready to upgrade. 2004 doesn't work on Windows 10.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you so much.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you get the Quicken 2003 that you loaded on your laptop? What version (Basic, Deluxe...) is it? What version of Windows was the computer that crashed running?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    Hello, I bought the Quicken 2003 New User Edition awhile ago. It's the Basic Version. Windows 10 Version 1909. Thank you, Carolyn
  • Greg_the_Geek
    It sounds like you were running Quicken Deluxe 2003 on the crashed computer. Why did you say "2004 doesn't work on Windows 10"?
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    I don't believe I have the Deluxe otherwise I wouldn't have an issue. It tells me I would need to upgrade to the deluxe to open the backup file.

When reading the Quicken install it says it doesn't work with Windows 10: Converting a data file from Quicken 98 - 2003
    This will require converting the file to Quicken 2004 first.

Quicken 2004 has been tested and will install and run on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 operating systems (32- or 64-bit for Quicken 2004) through the conversion process. It is not compatible with Windows 10.

Also, I tried downloading 2004 and it wouldn't finish installing.

Thank you, Carolyn
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    Maybe I will just need to get a newer version of Quicken and start over?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You can try downloading/installing the free version of Quicken Deluxe 2013 and then opening your data file.

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I tried loading the 2013 Deluxe and I'm unable to open my back up file. It tells me I need to convert 2003 to 2004 before I can use 2013. Thank you.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I'm puzzled that Quicken 2003 will run on Windows 10 but not Quicken 2004.
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    Me too. I says a post that says, "Quicken 2004 release2 works perfectly in Windows 10" but I have no clue what or where to get that. Thank you
  • Greg_the_Geek
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    Hi, is this 2004? I think I found a way to get the 2004 to download but now I can't get it to open my 2003 backup. Thanks
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Yes, that's Quicken Deluxe 2004. What happens when you try to restore your 2003 backup? Do you have any other backups? Do you have the original Quicken data files?
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    Hi, it says "Can't Open File" and the backup is the only file I have. Thanks
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Is it possible to get access to the hard drive in your crashed computer? You should always have multiple backups of Quicken data.
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    Hello, I also have a back up on a Seagate back up drive and can't get that to open either. I don't know. Maybe I am doing something wrong because it lets me restore the back up and then when I try to open it, it doesn't let me.

Thanks again for all your help.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What is the exact error message when you try to open the file?
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    The message is "can't open file"
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    This is what I'm doing (see screen prints attached)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember....  @Greg_the_Geek
    but when did Quicken consolidate the separate data files into a single QDF file - ?
    Also - was there a problem with file names with spaces vs a solid 8.3 file name ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your computer really used to run Quicken 2003, it is not enough to have just the QUICKEN LAPTOP.QDF file. In 2003, a "Quicken data file" consisted of several separate files of different file extensions, QDF, QEL, QSD and QPH, all named QUICKEN LAPTOP.*
    See https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-data-file-set-extensions
    If you have a backup copy of your data files, all created by the Quicken Backup process, you have a single combined (possibly zip-like) file containing all the pieces, but with a different file type (I forget which type exactly) on the backup media. The Quicken Restore process would be able to recreate the individual files.
    If you only have a copy of the QDF file, but neglected to also save the other files, you are in trouble.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And there's another problem.
    Modern Windows systems do NOT allow Quicken data files to be stored in a Program Files folder.
    Quicken data files need to be in user - owned folder, preferably \Documents\Quicken.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    If your computer really used to run Quicken 2003, it is not enough to have just the QUICKEN LAPTOP.QDF file. In 2003, a "Quicken data file" consisted of several separate files of different file extensions, QDF, QEL, QSD and QPH, all named QUICKEN LAPTOP.*
    See https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-data-file-set-extensions
    If you have a backup copy of your data files, all created by the Quicken Backup process, you have a single combined (possibly zip-like) file containing all the pieces, but with a different file type (I forget which type exactly) on the backup media. The Quicken Restore process would be able to recreate the individual files.
    If you only have a copy of the QDF file, but neglected to also save the other files, you are in trouble.

I believe that may be overstating the risk.  The OP indicated bank accounts only, so stock prices (QPH extension) should not be an issue.  No online access means the QEL (electronic) extension is likely superfluous.  I don't recall the significance of the QSD file.  The right program of that vintage should open a QDF file even of those other files are not available. 

I also no not believe the program of that vintage combined files (zip-like) in making backups.  My recollection is that the set of files was simply copied (or copied with an altered filename) to the designated backup folder.

@ps56k I believe the single file setup came about in the 2010 version.  There were inconsistencies when the 8.3 filename.ext form was altered, allowing spaces and special characters in the filename.  Sometime the longer names caused problems, but certainly not all the time.

Moving the QUICKEN LAPTOP.QDF file to a documents folder would be a really good step, IMO.      
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    I actually was able to load 2003 on my other computer that I just replaced the hard drive in. I was also able to open my back up copy. Think I will try to take that 2003 file and see if I can open it in 2004 somehow. Thank you.
  • carkrk1
    carkrk1 Member ✭✭
    Since I was able to open the 2003 backup on new hard drive, I updated to 2004 and now 2013. Everything is working great now. Thank you very much for your help. Carolyn
This discussion has been closed.