How do I list a credit (as in a refund) that was charged to my credit card, but was returned?

Options
How and where do I enter a refund for a credit on my credit card? I haven't been able to insert a category into my register. How does anyone else handle this?

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The recommended best practice is to  use the same category for a return/refund as the original purchase. This zeros out the purchase and still reflects the original expense for a record.
  • Jerry Montgomery
    Jerry Montgomery Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. I understand that part. Do I enter it with a minus sign so that it registers as a return?
  • Jerry Montgomery
    Options
    I'm sorry. I'm so befuddled today. I'm thinking about columns, not categories. And I'm talking about a credit card. Thank you for responding and for the suggestion. I'll see if I can muddle my way through this another way.
  • Jerry Montgomery
    Options
    Okay, so credit card charges are automatically minus (charge), so a refund is automatically a plus (payment). There is no way to enter minus or plus signs, nor a way to enter a refund or a deposit column, so all I know to do is to put it in the "payment" column. Is that correct? Also, as is sometimes the case, what was purchased with one credit card is refunded to another. This means you can't cancel out (and I think it's going to be a real headache on the refunded credit card). Am I mistaken? It's really confusing to me. Thank you for your patience,.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You would enter a refund in the same manner as a payment. As I use the Windows version, I cannot advise on exactly how to enter for Mac. I can provide a Windows register with a refund for comparison. Hopefully a Mac user will come along if you are not able to resolve.

This discussion has been closed.