Managing foreign currency stocks in an Brokerage Account

I have a brokerage account in my home currency (CHF) and have made stock purchase that is traded in USD.

The trade is settled in my home currency CHF including commissions.

Since the stock is traded in USD stock price history is in USD. How do I manage foreign currency stock in a brokerage account in a different currency?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    At this time neither Quicken Mac nor the Windows version are capable of handling investment transactions in different currencies within one account.
    Until Quicken learns how to do that I suggest you create separate investment accounts for USD or other currency holdings. When creating the account, create it as a "manual" (not connected to the brokerage for transaction downloading) account. When buying or selling USD securities, transfer the cash to/from your CHF account.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    At this time neither Quicken Mac nor the Windows version are capable of handling investment transactions in different currencies within one account.
    Until Quicken learns how to do that I suggest you create separate investment accounts for USD or other currency holdings. When creating the account, create it as a "manual" (not connected to the brokerage for transaction downloading) account. When buying or selling USD securities, transfer the cash to/from your CHF account.
  • mark303
    mark303 Member ✭✭✭
    I have exactly the same situation. I have foreign currency stocks that are settled in a different currency. Here's what I do. I establish a brokerage account for each currency in which the stocks are held even though actually they are in one multicurrency account at my broker. I settle in the currency of the trade and then do a payment transaction to move the settlement currency into the traded currency.
This discussion has been closed.