I cannot close an investment account

I've removed all share for the securities listed. When I look a Holdings, three securities remain on the list showing 0 shares and market value of $0. When I attempt to close the account, I get a dialog that states "The account has securities balances, please clear the securities before you close the account." How do I get the account closed?
Tagged:

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jalbanese,

The likely cause of this error message is that there are fractional shares of the 3 securities still in the account.  A way to fix this is to go to the last "sale" transaction in the register for each of the 3 securities and edit those transactions by checking the little box next to "Sell all shares in this account".  This should remove any fractional shares.

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jalbanese
    jalbanese Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I tried your suggestion but now two of the securities show negative values for shares and the other still shows 0 shares
  • jalbanese
    jalbanese Member ✭✭
    I've been trying to clean up this account; I've cleared all placeholders and other things. Now, when I look at Holdings, there are no securities listed but the securities and cash values are negative $$. When I attempt to close the account, I still get the same message "The account has securities balances..." How do I find the problem securities that have balances and are causing this issue?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have "show hidden transactions" enabled? 

Go to: "Edit" > "Preferences" > "investment transactions" and make sure that the "Show hidden transactions" box is checked.

You also should close out from Quicken completely and restart.

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jalbanese
    jalbanese Member ✭✭
    I did both those things (Show hidden transactions was not checked initially). The results are the same. One other data point: although Holdings show no securities, running a Portfolio Value report shows 2 securities with positive share values.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @jalbanese,

Can you tell us which versions of both Windows and Quicken you are running?  Also have you shut-down windows and completely rebooted recently?  If not try that next.

Frankx

• jalbanese
    jalbanese Member ✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe Version: R26.23 Build: 27.1.26.23
    Windows 10 Version:1909 Build: 18363.836
    Restarted Windows with the same results.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, @jalbanese,

I suspect that your data file may have become corrupted.  I therefore suggest that you follow these instructions to perform some file troubleshooting 
    :   https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

But before you do - make sure that you make a current backup of your current Quicken Data file.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• jalbanese
    jalbanese Member ✭✭
    Ran the validate with the same results. Most of the comments were for older accounts that are no longer used.
    I assume that I continue to use the validated copy. Do I have to rename it?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you should continue to use the validated file, but whether you rename it, or not, is a personal choice (i.e. it is not required).

Since you are still having the "same results" after the troubleshooting, I suggest that you contact Quicken Support for additional assistance - here's the link https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.