Investment Account Register Market Value and Sidebar Total Don't Match

Using Mac Q2020 and Catalina v10.15.4. The market value on the top of the investment account screen and the account total in the sidebar match but are not equal to the register market value. There are five securities in the account and the sidebar total is short the exact value of two of the securities. All other investment account market values match perfectly. Any thoughts?

Best Answers

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I would keep a close eye on that account. The problem may have only temporarily gone away.

I have one investment account that, ever since I installed Quicken v5.16, has displayed an incorrect Balance in the sidebar about 1/2 the time when I launch Quicken. The fix for now is to re-launch Quicken one or more times until the Balance in the sidebar (and top of window) match the portfolio total. Then the Balance is good until after one or more re-launches of Quicken.

This problem can be reproduced by repeatedly re-launching Quicken. It may take 1/2 dozen tries. To easily observe when the problem has occurred:
    - click on the Investing group account in the sidebar
    - select the Portfolio tab
    - set the report type to Portfolio Value and Group by Type.
    - click the disclosure triangles beside Mutual Fund, Stock, etc. to hide the security detail lines.

Now you can compare the Market Value at the top of the window to the Totals at the bottom of the report. Just re-launch Quicken repeatedly until the mis-match occurs.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to share this issue with the Community.

I was able to confirm that this has been reported to our Teams for further investigation and resolution.

A solution can tentatively be expected as part of the future 5.18 release.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

QMAC-18113

Answers

• BillR
    BillR Member ✭✭
    Surprise, surprise! I did two additional updates this morning and the discrepancy automagically corrected itself.
  • lhossus
    Answer ✓
    I would keep a close eye on that account. The problem may have only temporarily gone away.

I have one investment account that, ever since I installed Quicken v5.16, has displayed an incorrect Balance in the sidebar about 1/2 the time when I launch Quicken. The fix for now is to re-launch Quicken one or more times until the Balance in the sidebar (and top of window) match the portfolio total. Then the Balance is good until after one or more re-launches of Quicken.

This problem can be reproduced by repeatedly re-launching Quicken. It may take 1/2 dozen tries. To easily observe when the problem has occurred:
    - click on the Investing group account in the sidebar
    - select the Portfolio tab
    - set the report type to Portfolio Value and Group by Type.
    - click the disclosure triangles beside Mutual Fund, Stock, etc. to hide the security detail lines.

Now you can compare the Market Value at the top of the window to the Totals at the bottom of the report. Just re-launch Quicken repeatedly until the mis-match occurs.
  • BillR
    BillR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Ihossus, you nailed it. Cranked up Q this morning, did my update and, just as you explained, the values don't match. I'll try the multiple re-launch fix. Hope they'll correct this soon. It unfortunately it makes one suspect of other things. Thanks for the feedback.
    ps. Three re-launches later, the totals match.
  • lhossus
    Please report your experience via Quicken's Help > Report a Problem...

Meanwhile, you might want to identify which of your investment accounts is affected. In my case it was only one ... connected to Morgan Stanley Wealth Management brokerage account.

Anyone else able to try reproducing this problem?
  • stevedar
    stevedar Member
    Yes, I'm having the same problem. Only affects four investment accounts. They are all my wife's Fidelity accounts. Mine are not affected. The discrepancy seems to vary randomly when the file is opened.

I'll be filing my report tomorrow.
  • BillR
    BillR Member ✭✭
    I filed my report this morning. This evening, I got a "Closed Ticket" email from Q with no explanation of a fix, work around or anything. Chatted with customer support and after an almost 15 minute wait "while we investigate your issue", the agent returned with no explanation except that I should re-issue my report again. TERRIBLE customer support from Development and the Help folks. Not sure what I'll do next.
  • lhossus
    I have never submitted a bug report thru customer support, so I am not familiar with what feedback you might have a right to expect. But I am surprised there is not a reason accompanying the "Closed Ticket", not even an "unable to reproduce."

I suggest you submit a report thru Quicken's built in "Report a Problem" on the Help menu. When you have Quicken showing an investment account with the mis-matched Market Values, call up Help > Report a Problem - which will take a screenshot of Quicken's open window(s) - and then describe what the problem is that you are reporting.

You will not get any feedback via this route, but I want to believe that they have competent people reviewing these reports. I have already submitted two reports on this issue. I am going to be patient and hope to see a fix in the not too distant future.
  • beachg8r
    beachg8r Member ✭✭
    I had this issue with one account of many from the same investment firm. The sidebar and account details were correct but the investment values and the report had several stocks previously sold. Online support was useless, they had me remove and reinstall Quicken, which changed nothing. I finally archived my old account and created a new one and got the correct numbers. I think this must be a software issue.
  • cdk4205
    cdk4205 Member
    I have the same issue - comes and goes since last update. At least it appears reports are correct, sidebar (which is what I use 98% of the time) is what is incorrect.
  • ejy
    ejy Member
    Hi, I have Quicken membership Premium 2020 on a MacBookPro. In my 403b account in Quicken, the Market Value at the top of the page does not accurately reflect the Totals of the market values of the Stocks and Cash shown below the list of holdings in Portfolio view. Has this happened to other people? What do I do?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @ejy

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. That is a bit odd. I was wondering if there was a setting that might be causing it but I didn't see anything like that. I do recommend contacting Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so, to have the matter looked at and hopefully fixed promptly. 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2020
    I have the same issue. Market Value at the top of the page does not accurately reflect the Totals. The error effect the graph, too.

The error come and goes, and is always off by omission of MV of one item in the investment account (see screen capture image).

quicken premier 2020
    Version 5.16.1 (Build 516.33903.100)
    macOS 10.15.5
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
    2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Someone please feel free to forward this comment to Support. (Whenever I have a moment to do it myself, they are Closed.) Thanks.
  • jhsaltzer
    jhsaltzer Member ✭✭
    I recently had to step up the basis for each of my Mutual Funds and Stocks, by what I think is the approved method: for each security, first enter a "Remove Shares" transaction and then enter an "Add Shares" transaction using the new basis and a backdated acquisition date. Since then, the sidebar total and the portfolio graph display the total of the market value of exactly two of my eleven securities.

The portfolio value display column "Market Value" correctly displays the total of all eleven securities. It is as if the other nine securities are hidden from the calculation used by the graph and the sidebar display. Did I do something wrong or trigger a feature I am not aware of? Or is this a known bug?
  • lhossus
    @jhsaltzer

Please try quitting Quicken and then re-launching.

Does the sidebar total change? Does it match the Portfolio Market Value total?

If quitting and re-launching does not change the sidebar total the first time, try some more times re-launching. It may take 4-8 times in extreme cases.
  • jhsaltzer
    jhsaltzer Member ✭✭
    @jhossus

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it and the result is bizarre. Upon quitting Quicken and re-launching, the total in the sidebar and the graph were then calculated from a *different* subset of the eleven securities. Each time I repeat the quit/re-launch procedure I get a different total from the sidebar and the graph. The sidebar and the graph always agree with each other but are always less than the correct total displayed in the Portfolio Market Value. The total they come up with is always a correct sum of a few of the 11 securities. After 12 tries the total in the sidebar and graph is still bouncing around. Sometimes it is based on 1 or 2 securities, sometimes on 4 or 5. I don't detect any pattern.

Here is another observation: As an experiment I deleted the eleven "Remove Share/Add Share" transaction pairs that I used to adjust the basis. The sidebar and graph totals then agreed with the correct Portfolio Market Value total. But when I then redid the "Remove Share/Add Share" transaction pairs the mismatch behavior returned.
  • Garth Brown
    Garth Brown Member ✭✭
    If you have an incongruent debit and you want to zero-out the net worth in the sidebar, you can open the account register and enter an offset credit under the "Payment/Deposit" heading. Net worth will appear as "$0" in the sidebar.

This kluge may have incongruent effects in reporting, so watch carefully.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to share this issue with the Community.

I was able to confirm that this has been reported to our Teams for further investigation and resolution.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

QMAC-18113

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Just a note to those following this issue that we're currently (mid-June 2020) on release 5.16.x. The 5.18 release Quicken_Natalie mentions above is therefore two releases away. (Presumably 5.17 is forthcoming in the near future, and the fix for this issue will be in the subsequent release.) And as always, note the word tentatively, because development plans and schedules can and do change. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BillR
    BillR Member ✭✭
    Thank you Natalie for your update offering hope that this issue will be corrected in a future release and Jacobs for your clarification.
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Quicken_Natalie said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to share this issue with the Community.
    >
    > I was able to confirm that this has been reported to our Teams for further investigation and resolution.
    >
    > A solution can tentatively be expected as part of the future 5.18 release.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Natalie
    >
    > QMAC-18113

Is that a TYPO? 5.18 release? We're currently on 5.16.1.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    RIck said:
    Is that a TYPO? 5.18 release? We're currently on 5.16.1.
    @Rick  Did you see my post just above? When bugs get discovered, if they are very simple fixes, or if they fix fatal problems (e.g. crashes or data loss), they often make the next release -- but more normally fixes make it into the subsequent release.

We're on 5.16 now. It's likely that 5.17 is already locked and in some phase of internal or beta testing. Version 5.16 was released May 15, and they typically push out new releases every 4-8 weeks -- so we're nearly 5 weeks after the latest release, and we might expect to see 5.17 before the end of the month. Version 5.18, the version Quicken Natalie said is scheduled for the fix of this issue, is likely to follow in the month or two after that.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how but yes I did miss your post. Thanks for clarifying.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
This discussion has been closed.