I created a loan account. In the transaction, the balance is shown italicized and gray, not red. Why

Options
I created a loan account. In the transaction, the balance is shown italicized and gray, not red as in every other account with a negative balance. Why? (See screenshot.)

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmm ... as a Quicken for Windows user I'd say that your Opening Balance transaction is missing. Q Win usually creates an Opening Balance transaction when you create a new account register, even if the opening amount is 0.00.
    Let's see if a Q Mac expert chimes in here with a better explanation ...
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your opening balance in this loan account should be a POSITIVE number and in the INCREASE column ... showing that the amount of debt is increasing.
    THEN, the payments should show in the Decrease column.  See attached graphic.
    And note that for some reason, your payment is backwards also.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Craig Bagley
    Craig Bagley Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for weighing in.

I have no payments yet, just an initial opening balance. Nor do I use online banking. The bank deposited the loan proceeds into my checking account, so I created the loan account, then used a Transfer transaction to show the initial opening balance. I found the usual method for opening a new register for loans rather convoluted in this version of Quicken, but discovered a workaround to produce the transaction. The numbers are correct. It's just odd that the style/color of the number is not what I'd expect in a liability account.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It MIGHT be a QMac thing ... but we need to wait for one of the QMac SuperUsers to chime in.  UKR and I are both QWin users ... and it looks odd from our perspective also.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.