Anyone has problems with ESPP Launch Wizard?

The feature worked fine 6 months ago. However, when I tried entering the Buy ESPP shares data today, the security name was greyed out. When I tried entering the Sell ESPP for some shares that I acquired a long time ago, it gave an error message that I don't have any shares left. Anyone else has this problem? Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I had what sounds like the same issue, it was several years ago. It seemed like the ESPP securities or the ESPP security type itself had become corrupted. I could not enter ESPP buys or sells for my existing ESPPs. I even tried with new test ESPPs, it was still impossible to enter ESPP buys. 

I tried validating a Quicken copy and super validating. Neither helped. I stepped back through subsequently older backups until I found one where ESPP buys and sells still worked. That backup was 2 years old. Based on the date of the good backup, apparently the conversion from Q2013 to Q2014 caused the corruption. 

I tried rebuilding the 2 year old backup in Q2015, but that version was so buggy and unstable it would constantly crash. It seemed the constant crashing would just exacerbate the corruption so I reverted to Q2013 and completed the recovery there. 

Hopefully a fix will not be so arduous in your case. My first troubleshooting step would be to validate a Quicken copy of your file:

File | File Operations | Copy
    File | File Operations | Validate & Repair: Validate

If that does not resolve the issue, I would restore successively older backups until you find one where ESPP buys and sells work and rebuild that file to fill in the intervening data. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I had what sounds like the same issue, it was several years ago. It seemed like the ESPP securities or the ESPP security type itself had become corrupted. I could not enter ESPP buys or sells for my existing ESPPs. I even tried with new test ESPPs, it was still impossible to enter ESPP buys. 

I tried validating a Quicken copy and super validating. Neither helped. I stepped back through subsequently older backups until I found one where ESPP buys and sells still worked. That backup was 2 years old. Based on the date of the good backup, apparently the conversion from Q2013 to Q2014 caused the corruption. 

I tried rebuilding the 2 year old backup in Q2015, but that version was so buggy and unstable it would constantly crash. It seemed the constant crashing would just exacerbate the corruption so I reverted to Q2013 and completed the recovery there. 

Hopefully a fix will not be so arduous in your case. My first troubleshooting step would be to validate a Quicken copy of your file:

File | File Operations | Copy
    File | File Operations | Validate & Repair: Validate

If that does not resolve the issue, I would restore successively older backups until you find one where ESPP buys and sells work and rebuild that file to fill in the intervening data. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JHQ2020
    JHQ2020 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. Validating & Repairing the file fixed the issue.
This discussion has been closed.