Unexplained change in number of shares

For my investment accounts at Schwab, I have separate cash account set up to reflect each brokerage account. In one of my accounts, I recently noticed a difference between the actual Schwab balance and my Quicken balance, which I traced to a difference in the cash balance. For some reason, number of shares is significantly greater than actual. The cost basis is the same as Schwab, but market value now reflects a much higher number, due to the change in number of shares. I looked at recent transactions and all look ok. Any idea why this might be happening?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummm ... was there a recent Stock Split for this security?
  • Patrick Day
    Patrick Day Member ✭✭
    As I mentioned, this is a cash account. Number of shares should only change with deposits/withdrawals. Looking at the cash accounts in my other Schwab brokerage accounts indicate the same amount for market and cost, as it always has shown. This problem just appeared on this one account and none of the others.
  • Patrick Day
    Patrick Day Member ✭✭
    Yep, that was it....slipped a couple of decimal points on a transaction last week.

Thanks
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Patrick Day,

Yes - those decimal points CAN be SLIPPERY little critters!!!

Glad that it worked for you!

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.