New Bill Pay doesn't update reliably

I'm trying to get comfortable with the new Bill Pay service. Unfortunately it appears to be unreliable. I successfully added Citi Bank to the bills I pay and used the connection to pay last month's credit card bill. Unfortunately it didn't alert me correctly to this month's bill. "Awaiting next bill" message on "Bills & Income " screen. Unfortunately I'm paying the bill one day late now and expect I will be paying a penalty fee.

Moreover have had multiple instances where I have successfully added a biller (TruGreen, ComEd) and the same problem occurs -- ie "Awaiting next bill" message when in fact that bill is available on the web.

This service does not appear to be ready for "prime time" -- or am I doing something wrong??

Paul

Comments

• Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Adding to the train of unreliability, I recently paid a Comcast (xfinity) bill. Unfortunately, quicken flagged the biller as needing attention because the information was incorrect in the system. As instructed, I deleted the biller and then added it again -- successfully. I shouldn't have to add the same biller multiple times. Again, if I hadn't been watching through other mechanisms, I would have missed paying the bill on time... This is not what I expect from Quicken....
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @Paul Smith2,

Hello Paul,
    Thank you for posting about your concern. Sorry to hear that a bill didn't go out as expected.

Please provide additional information about your set-up. Help > About Quicken - what edition/year/version/build are you using?

As I read your post, it seems you have already gone through setting up and enabling your payment accounts in the Quicken Bill Manager, yes? You have already gone through each step to trigger a payment from QBM, yes? 

To make sure I understand your concern  - you are using the new Quicken Bill Manager (not the old Quicken Bill Pay, nor your banks' bill pay service), correct? From the Bills & Income tab, Bills secondary tab, with All Bills selected from the drop-down menu on the left of the screen - what happens when you go to the row for your Online Biller, and on the right side, click the little caret symbol and select Refresh Bill?
    Does the bill update with fresh information? Or do you get any sort of error message? If so, what is the exact error message, please?
    With some additional information we may be better able to help you sort this out.

Alternatively, you are welcome to contact support directly for one-on-one help. The support folks have additional internal tools that may help pin-point the exact issue to be resolved.

Thank you,
    Quicken Hugh
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    The Quicken Quick Pay story continues to be unreliable! Today I went to pay a online Citi card bill. The Bills & Income manager informed me that the information in Quicken was wrong and the biller needed to be deleted (this despite the fact that I paid the bill last month successfully). So I deleted the bill from the list of bills to be paid as instructed. When I went to set it up again, the wizard informed me that the account "already was set up" so I could not set it up again... So now I have no mechanism to pay the bill in Quicken... I think this is related to the fact that I have 2 different Citi card accounts -- but both are accessed with the same web credentials. Apparently the Quicken bill manager doesn't know how to handle this situation. Can anyone enlighten me on how to handle this??
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Hugh

Thanks for noticing my frustrations. In answer to your inquiry, I'm on Quicken Premier 2020 Version R26.23 Build 27.1.26.23 -- W10 Surface Laptop - 8 GB installed RAM, 64 bit x64 based processor. (A longtime Quicken user - not a novice)

I have gone through setting up Quicken Bill Manager and validated the checking account to be used. I have successfully paid some bills. Because of the afore mentioned reliability issues and the fact that I cannot schedule a bill to be paid on a date in the future, I have kept the old "Quicken Bill Pay - New" (Metavante) on my machine. I do not use my bank's bill paying service -- although I am seriously considering doing so given my experience so far with the new system.

In response to your detailed question, when I go to "Refresh Bill" button, I usually get "Awaiting next bill" along with the previous Paid bill and date. The frustration is that I know by virtue of an email from the biller that a new bill is available -- but Quicken doesn't see it. That's how I missed a credit card payment last month!
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    @Paul Smith2
    At this point, please do contact support directly for one-on-one help. The support folks have additional internal tools that may help resolve the issue.

Quicken is rolling out an update (Quikcen 2020, R27.20) that does allow you to schedule bills to be paid at a future date. Please look for the new update. Before you take this update, we recommend you perform a One Step Update to ensure that your data is synced to the cloud and also make a backup of your data file.

Thank you,
    Quicken Hugh
This discussion has been closed.