Replacement Credit Card. Hundreds of Duplicate Transaction. How to Handle?

Using Quicken Windows Deluxe 2020. I received a replacement AMEX card as mine was lost. So I deactivated the old account. I now have hundreds of duplicate transactions that are overlapping this year. So when I run reports or want to view graphs. I can't get any useful information about YTD information, as either there are duplicate credit card totals if use both current cards or there is missing info if I leave out the card that was replaced.

I can't find a way reading through the Q/A here how to handle this, other than manually deleting/flagging hundred of transactions.

Quicken should be able to identify through some logic these are identical transactions. Shouldn't there be a *feature* called replacement card that deals with this situation which occurs so frequently? What am I missing?

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best way to handle a replacement CC is to deactivate the account, delete and reenter the new card number, then activate the account.
    In your situation, I would suggest restoring from a backup just prior to when you deactivated the account. You should have no duplicate transactions.
  • quicknewb
    quicknewb Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick response. So I deactived. If delete the account will it not wipe all the transactions? I have several years of credit card transactions I do not want to lose. Will it not wipe it when this gets deleted?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do not want to delete the account. Just to be clear, delete the account number from the Account list and reenter. The register will be unaffected and all transactions should be OK. You should have daily backups if something goes south.
  • quicknewb
    quicknewb Member ✭✭
    I think I got it by going to a back and selecting "link to existing card" Thanks for your help. They really need to add an option "Replacement Card" as often as people get replacement cards.
This discussion has been closed.