Security not "currently held" and not in Net Worth Report BUT shows in Portfolio

Options
Garry@
Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
I have some securities which are currently held. But, many of them do NOT show as currently held in the Securities window. Some of those also do not affect the Net Worth Report.

One in particular is a CD renewed annually (i.e. sell and buy transactions on the same day every year) and has been held since 2012. The NW Report for some dates shows it while for other dates does not. Yet, the Portfolio tab in the Account register concerned shows everything correctly – market value, cost basis, dates, prices are all correct.

What could the cause be ?

Thanks.

Quicken 7.3.2 in macOS 14.1.1, on Mac Studio Max 24c. Quicken for Mac user since 1997.

Best Answer

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Garry@
    You might try dating the sell of the old CD one day before the buy of the new CD. I seem to remember some poor behavior in a similar situation. Just an idea.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not sure I am following but here is a thought:

1) open the security list (CNTL-Y) and review that the missing securities are NOT hidden (3rd check mark to the right). Be sure to check the 'show hidden securities" check box at the bottom of the screen so that you are reviewing ALL securities.

2) have you completed a 'validate and repair' function recently? (under File, File Operations)

otherwise, please describe the problem again
  • Garry@
    Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Many thanks but, I'm using Quicken for Mac 5.17.1. I can't find a hide securities function nor a validate/repair function. Those functions were in old versions of Quicken for Mac but, I can't find them in the latest.

It is confusing. Here's a summary of the problem for one security:

- Securities list shows the CD as not currently held i.e., there is no green dot in the "Currently Held" column.

- The CD appears in the Net Worth Report only if the report is run for certain dates - the CD has been held continuously since 2012 but there have been a sell transaction and a buy transaction on the same day every year.

- The CD appears correctly in the "Portfolio" tab for the Account's register for all dates starting with the first buy transaction in 2012 [the portfolio tab shows prices and holdings of all securities in an investment account as at a given date as well as capital gains and performance].

I have other securities which are not "Currently Held" which do show correctly in the Net Worth Report.

I can't find anything material which would explain why some securities show correctly in the Net Worth Report and other don't.

I suspect this might have something to do with dates. I'm going to look for a pattern in dates and appearing in the Net Worth Report. I think the issue might be the order in which transactions appear. Most transactions pairs (like the buy-sell pair), are in reverse order on the given date. So, Quicken shows the buy happened before the sell. I have manually fixed many go those. Where I have done so, the security no longer appears in the Net Worth Report. I reckon this a bug which I will report somehow.

P.S., I am in Australia. We don't have "CDs". We have instruments called "Term Deposits" which are basically the same thing. We don't really buy or sell them. When they mature we can renew them. But, Quicken does not have those concepts so, I use "CDs" and enter buy-sell transaction pairs to emulate the renewal process.

Quicken 7.3.2 in macOS 14.1.1, on Mac Studio Max 24c. Quicken for Mac user since 1997.

• lhossus
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Garry@
    You might try dating the sell of the old CD one day before the buy of the new CD. I seem to remember some poor behavior in a similar situation. Just an idea.
  • Garry@
    Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    > @lhossus said:
    > You might try dating the sell of the old CD one day before the buy of the new CD.

Yes, of course, I should have thought of that. I changed dates on the sell transactions to one day before the buys. It worked. The Net Worth Report updated in real time showing the correct total.

I suspect part of the problem lies in data imported from Q2007. All transactions with the same date were entered in reverse order - i.e. buys before sell and transfers before interest receipts. I've been manually re-ordering those transactions but, clearly that's not fixed the way reports use the data. Transactions which I have entered since the import don't have the problem.

Many thanks for the solution. :)

• lhossus
    Options
    You're welcome.

And thanks for the confirmation of the "fix". Not the greatest solution, but gets 99% of the way there.

I too converted my Quicken data from 2007 to 2015. So my memories of the problem were vague.
This discussion has been closed.