Moving QW 2010 to new Laptop......

I've been using QW2010 on my desktop (Win 8.1) since I bought it new in 2010. I just bought a new laptop for my wife and would like to load QW2010 on it. She just uses it mostly for her checking and savings and the register so I don't need anything newer. Of course the original 2010 disc has been long misplaced, ie lost. I tried coping the 2010 program to a flash drive and then tried to install it onto the new laptop. The flash drive had everything that is on my desktop, I checked each file individually to be sure. The closest I got after loading it onto the new laptop was a quick flash of the Quicken Premier 2010 logo and that's it. Is there a way to do this? I've read that some say it will and is working on their Windows 10, and then I've read others saying it won't. Just an FYI, my desktop utilizes an external hard drive for scheduled backups of my entire PC. Could I possibly restore just QW2010 from that onto the new laptop? Would anyone like to offer any suggestions?

Thanks, Bill

Best Answer

Answers

• billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    Where do I go to download it (Quicken 2010)? I have it on my desktop but would like to install it on my new laptop. I tried to copy it from my desktop to a flash drive and then to laptop but didn't work.
  • billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    Do you have a link for my previous post to download QW 2010?

Thanks, Bill
  • billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    Update, I just found the receipt and the original purchase was a "download". No wonder I can't find the disc.

Bill
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.  Programs have to be installed.  You can get 2013.  2013 should run on Windows 10.  You can download 2013 for free (I think it's the Deluxe version) using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    volvogirl. First thank you for your very prompt response, I appreciate it. I do have and installed QW2017 on the laptop but everytime I go to backup files from the QW2010 on my desktop I have to go through the converting of the files. I will look at that link you provided tomorrow, but will that somehow allow me to load QW2017 on the laptop and then backward change it to QW2010? Please excuse me, as I've aged I'm not as computer literate as I used to be, so my questions may be really stupid. I guess I could update and install QW2017 onto the desktop PC so they would both be the same but I'm not sure if I would like it or any differences in it.

Bill
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @billjr ,

If you have installed Quicken 2017 and converted files from Quicken 2010 to Quicken 2013 then to Quicken 2017, there is no going back to Quicken 2010 data format, Bill.

Quicken 2010 can't work with Quicken 2017 Data Format.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• volvogirl
    Oh your first post didn't mention you already had Q2017.  You only need 1 program.  You don't need to install her 2010.  Why couldn't you open her .qdf or .qdf-Backup file in 2017?  You don't need to use another version to convert it.  

• billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    volvogirl........ I originally bought a new copy of 2017 and installed it on the new laptop. I then used the backup files form the 2010 from my desktop. It converted them fine to the 2017 on the laptop. But then I noticed I had to do the conversion every time i used the backup files from the 2010 version. I guess what I'm trying to do is make them both easily compatible. If I can't load 2010 onto the laptop (after uninstalling 2017) would it be easier to just load 2017 onto my desktop and delete the 2010 from my desktop? Would that work if I had 2017 on both and use them that way? Do you know if 2010 and 2017 work pretty much the same, especially using the check register ? I'm trying to make it as simple as possible for my wife to be able to start taking over our basic financial needs do to my health problems if I'm not here to be able to help her. She is doing well with the 2010 on the desktop, but I want too have the laptop for a backup for her if the desktop failed for any reason so she could still do our banking. I'm sorry if I'm making this sound so confusing, but I'm trying to get it done quickly. Thank you so much for your help.

Bill
  • billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    thecreator....No I never had 2013. I'm trying to go right from 2010 on my desktop to 2017 on that laptop as easily as possible. As I mentioned in a precious post would it be easier to install 2017 onto the desktop so they are both the same? Just trying to make them both operate the same for my wife, particularly the check register, She has 2010 down pretty good now so that was the reason I was trying to put that on her laptop. So I purchased a new copy of 2017 (couldn't find a 2010, and couldn't copy the program from my desktop to the laptop) thinking it would be easy, but the conversion every time gets her a little confused (chemo brain, really not funny). I'm just trying to make them kind of the same in case the desktop ever fails, a backup so to speak. Right now I have a desktop with 2010, a laptop which I uninstalled 2017 at this point, and a new copy of 2017. Would they act exactly the same if I just went ahead and installed 2017 on both at this point? Thank you for your input. Oh, you can also read my latest response to volvogirl for more information, much the same as I mentioned here.

Bill
  • billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    Just a thought, is there a limit to how many times I can use this new CD for 2017 to install it on a pc?
  • thecreator
    billjr said:
    thecreator....No I never had 2013. I'm trying to go right from 2010 on my desktop to 2017 on that laptop as easily as possible. As I mentioned in a precious post would it be easier to install 2017 onto the desktop so they are both the same? Just trying to make them both operate the same for my wife, particularly the check register, She has 2010 down pretty good now so that was the reason I was trying to put that on her laptop. So I purchased a new copy of 2017 (couldn't find a 2010, and couldn't copy the program from my desktop to the laptop) thinking it would be easy, but the conversion every time gets her a little confused (chemo brain, really not funny). I'm just trying to make them kind of the same in case the desktop ever fails, a backup so to speak. Right now I have a desktop with 2010, a laptop which I uninstalled 2017 at this point, and a new copy of 2017. Would they act exactly the same if I just went ahead and installed 2017 on both at this point? Thank you for your input. Oh, you can also read my latest response to volvogirl for more information, much the same as I mentioned here.

Bill

Hi @billjr ,

Thank you You are correct, going from Quicken 2010 to Quicken 2017, Quicken 2013 is not needed.

I had forgotten. 
    "

If you are converting a data file from Quicken 2010 or later 

You do not need to follow the steps in this article. An intermediate version of Quicken is not necessary. Simply install your new version of Quicken and open your data file. "

You can indeed install Quicken 2017 on both the Desktop and Laptop, without problems. But Quicken 2017 will convert the Data File from Quicken 2010 to 2017 Format. You may need to download the Mondo Patch for Quicken 2017 from:

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html 

You need to download and install Release 20.5 Mondo Patch to bring Quicken 2017 up to date.

If you need to reinstall Quicken 2017, see this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7731283/installing-reinstalling-and-upgrading-to-windows-quicken-2017-versions-procedural-adjustment

• thecreator
    billjr said:
    Just a thought, is there a limit to how many times I can use this new CD for 2017 to install it on a pc?

On the same two computers, unlimited.

• billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    Greg_the_Geek ,....volvogirl, and the creator.
    Thank you, I followed your (Greg_the_Geek) very detailed instructions and I now have both PC's running on QW2013, so far without any problems (don't want to jinx myself). At just a glance it looks identical to QW2010 so my wife is good with it Thanks again I appreciate your help and that of volvogirl and thecreator. You all made this a success at a time when we really needed help because of personal issues. I can't thank you all enough !!!

Bill
  • volvogirl
    Glad you got it going.  Yes I'm staying on 2013 also.  It is the last good version before they started requiring to log in with a Quicken ID.  Just make lots of backups.  Get several flash drives and rotate them.  

• billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    volvogirl ......You read my mind. For years I only used one flash drive, I already have everything backed up on 3. Your positive impression of 2013 give me even more confidence in doing this update. And once again I sincerely appreciated your help !!
  • thecreator
    Hi @billjr ,

You have Quicken 2017. Quicken 2017 contains Bug-fixes that Quicken 2013 does have and that is the reason that Quicken is letting People download Quicken 2013 for free. Good for converting files, but that's it.

If you can live with Bugs, fine. Just letting you know.

• billjr
    billjr Member ✭✭
    thecreator ...... First Thank you again for your responses and help. Now I understand what you're saying about 2013. Again it's just going to be used by my wife for our checking and savings activity and she's fairly familiar with 2010. She's just started taking this on in recent months due to some issues i have. Anyway as mentioned, we do have the 2017 version which I had only recently purchased so if the bugs become a problem I can always update both PC's so they will at least both be the same for her. Again thank you for taking the time to help me and particularly your last post which clarified the 2013 vs 2017 for me. I hope you have a great weekend!!!

Bill
This discussion has been closed.