bug entering withdraw transaction

If I enter a withdraw/EFT transaction Quicken is swapping it to a Deposit (!). This just started happening recently, a few weeks ago likely due to an update. Here's the details:

- go to enter a transaction
- in the Action field enter "Withdraw"
- tab to Num field and enter EFT
- tab to Payee and watch Quicken change "Withdraw" to "Deposit"

why would it ever do that? It used to just leave it as Withdraw. Does not swap if you start with Deposit. The fix is to go back to the Action field and set it back to Withdraw, but that is a total pain.

Anyone else seeing this problem and/or know how to fix it?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Probably not much help, but if you do use the "Enter Transactions" button (top left of account page) rather than entering a transaction directly in the register it doesn't happen.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be picking it up from a prior transaction for that payee that was a Deposit.  After you enter it properly then memorize it.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @aviet,

Perhaps you can give us some more information to help us understand your problem.

Which type of account are you trying to make the entry in? It seems like it may be an Investing account, is that correct?

If it is correct, does it change to "Deposit" when you simply tab to the Payee field, or when you start to type there?

Do any of the other fields change?

Let us know and we'll see if we can help you.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• aviet
    aviet Member
    Yes, investment account. There is no prior transaction. It changes to Deposit right after tabbing out of the Num field. It ends up in the Payee field but it changes before I type anything further. No other fields change (they are all empty). The act of setting it to EFT is what changes it. In fact, I usually just type 'e' and let it auto-complete.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's interesting, because I cannot replicate it.  Which versions and builds of both Quicken and Windows are you using?

• aviet
    aviet Member
    Quicken 2020 Home, Business & Rental Property R27.28 Build 27.1.27.28, Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, OS build 18362.959

Not sure if you can download this but here is a small screen recording of it happening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iel1btgkmovl26a/QuickenBug.m4v
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay - thanks for the recording.

I said that I couldn't replicate it because I was using the "Enter Transactions" button (top left of account page) rather than entering a transaction directly in the register.

After viewing the recording, I get the same result as you.  Seems like strange behavior, and it occurs regardless of what you type in the "Security" field.

Frankx

• aviet
    aviet Member
    Well, I'm glad to hear it happens to you as well and it's not just me. I'm amazed a bug this obvious (and bad) was ever released.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Probably not much help, but if you do use the "Enter Transactions" button (top left of account page) rather than entering a transaction directly in the register it doesn't happen.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.