How to zero-out Securities Value?

I have an investment account where I sold all shares, but Quicken still shows a Securities Values. I don't want to delete the account because I want to keep the historic record. Is there a place where I can go and just delete whatever is creating that balance? There are any number of things I might have done wrong over the years. All I want to do is zero out the Securities Value.

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JADavey,

Yes, it is likely that fractional shares in the account are causing this problem.  In fact, Quicken made a recent change extending to - 6 decimal places - the shares field.  To fix this problem, all you need to do is to go to the most recent transaction - where you sold all the remaining shares in the account and "edit" it by checking the box labeled "Sell all shares in this account".  That will close out that position and fix your problem.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JADavey
    JADavey Unconfirmed ✭✭
    @Frankx Yes, I think there are some securities in there that I have to account for. Thanks for that idea.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JADavey,

Let me know how that goes...

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JADavey
    JADavey Unconfirmed ✭✭
    @Frankx, yes, you hit it. I had errors in along the way in the way that I entered the securities. Some were easy to correct, and I do have the Securities Value down to $0.00 where it should be. But to really correct this account, I would now need to change the names of so many entries to the correct security, I could not do it unless there is a way to bulk edit them from the name I entered to the correct security name. Any thoughts on a process to do that?
  • JADavey
    JADavey Unconfirmed ✭✭
    @Frankx Follow up - what I asked about was not necessary. I discovered that when I closed Quicken and re-opened, the account balance was recalculated properly. I still have a problem because the account does not show up in my Net Worth report, even though I do not have the account hidden.
  • JADavey
    JADavey Unconfirmed ✭✭
    @Frankx But then I went into the Net Worth Report and saw that the account was not checked. Checked it, and now the calculation is correct.
    Thanks for your suggestions. My apologies for talking to myself in this thread.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JADavey,

You had quite a conversation going on there for a bit!!!  And it looks like that helped you work through those additional issues, which is great!

Sorry I didn't see those additional messages last night, as I had already logged off.  But let me know if anything else pops up.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.