Credit Card Closing Date and Statement Charges

Two items:
(1) Is there a way to easily track Credit Card Closing Dates? I have multiple credit cards that close at a different time throughout the month. Is there a way in Quicken to view and track closing dates? Whether in the header of a Credit Card Register or on the account list? Only thing I can think of is changing the name of the card to include the day of the month, but that seems a bit ridiculous. (i.e. "Visa Credit Card - closes on the 12th")

(2) Are particular charges on a credit card specifically linked to a payment made. We can reconcile a statement and pay it off, but can I go back to a charge (say for January of this Year) and see the statement and credit card payment with which it is associated?

Comments

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    The way I track closing dates is to include it in the memo field (purchases through 10-) of the reminder.  If I remember, I add the month (10-Jul) when I make the payment.  Some of my cards vary by a few days each month so I'll adjust the memo date if it changes.  When I need the last closing date for a card, I just check the last payment in the register.

You should be able to go back in the credit account register and find the charge for a specific purchase in January.  If you pay the monthly balance in full, the next statement payment would associate to the charge.  Otherwise charges do not normally link to a specific payment.  As far as statements, if the card is set up as an online biller and the statement is actually downloaded, you could see the statement where the charge is itemized.  I prefer to manually download my e-statements and save them in a separate folder rather than add them to my Quicken data.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• jrf40
    jrf40 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to your response, I thought of something that I'll try. Create a separate Bill Reminder called "CREDIT CARD CLOSING DATE" and make it due on the 24th of the month (or whatever day) and in memo write "Account typically closes on the 23td or 24th" and then have it auto enter 35 days in advance. So it will show up in the register and in the Bills Reminder list. Now if only i could change the color of this particular register item only so it would really stand out. Seems a bit convoluted, and not ideal...
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have reminders displayed in the register?  You can do that by using the gear in the register and Reminders to show in Register.  You can choose 7, 14, 30 or more days ahead of time.  That way you wouldn't have to auto enter & remove the transaction, just ignore the reminder after the closing date.  Whatever works for you.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

This discussion has been closed.