How do I stop quicken from being used by another process in order for it to update?

This is the message I get when I try to update quicken:

The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w4322\base\printenv.exe' because it is being used by another process.

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @kathobrien1,

I would suggest that you close out Quicken and any other programs you are using and reboot your computer.  It seems like the "other process" is an envelope printing routine that may be stuck.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me more like a backup process (e.g., Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) is trying to backup installation files while you're trying to install the latest Quicken patch file / software update.
    Configure said backup software to not create backups of C:\ProgramData\Quicken while the Quicken software update is running. Or temporarily stop the backup software altogether.
    You had one or more update installation failures already. I recommend you refresh your Quicken software by downloading and installing the latest Mondo Patch file from

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

• kathobrien1
    kathobrien1 Member
    Thank you both for your help. Rebooting did not work.
    I tried the mondo patch but got the following message. It must have something to do with my last name having an apostrophe but I'm not sure how to fix it. Can I just copy the URL into my browser with the apostrophe removed?

Could not parse the URL "O'Brien\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.
  • Thank you! Thank you! With your help I was able to update!
This discussion has been closed.