Cannot cancel or delete large check in Bill Manager

Using the new Quicken Bill Manager, I sent to check to a vendor using Check Pay. Unfortunately, I failed to enter the decimal point so a check was entered for $19,000 instead of $190. The vendor agreed to destroy the check upon receipt. I have two Quicken problems. The new Bill Manager system did not stop or provide a double-check on this large payment. Second, I tried to cancel the payment, but the system would not let me cancel it. Also, I cannot delete the check in my register until I cancel it, but I cannot cancel it. I would appreciate some help.
Tags

Best Answer

• stevebroadbent
    stevebroadbent Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the reminder about voiding transactions under Edit Transactions. I forgot about that menu. Regarding large payments, my subscription version of the "old" Quicken would not allow payments in excess of $10,000. Perhaps this restriction was lifted in Bill Manager.

Again, thanks.

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    For Check Pay, Quicken prints and mails a check drawn on your funding bank (similar to you writing & sending a check by mail).  After it is mailed, they can't cancel it.  You would need to contact your bank to stop payment, just as you would need to do if you had mailed the check.  As far as deleting it, the way this is normally done is to Void the check (Edit, Transactions, Void Transaction).   This zeros out the amount but leaves the check information in the register for record purposes.  

As far as alerting you about the large amount, I don't believe there is a way to have quicken do that.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• stevebroadbent
    stevebroadbent Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the reminder about voiding transactions under Edit Transactions. I forgot about that menu. Regarding large payments, my subscription version of the "old" Quicken would not allow payments in excess of $10,000. Perhaps this restriction was lifted in Bill Manager.

Again, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.