Budget Planning for Retirement Accounts

Options
Note that the retirement planner does not appear to distinguish between traditional IRA's (from which Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) are required) and ROTH IRA's from which RMDs are not required. It seems to assume RMDs are required for both.
Tagged:

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Lifetime Planner will properly handle distributions from accounts that have been created as traditional or Roth IRA accounts. 

The best way to see the difference is to temporarily exclude either the traditional or the Roth and look at the year details by clicking on the Plan Results graph. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    @JBDubhe
    Can you show or illustrate in LTP under what scenario(s) RMDs are taken for Roth IRAs?   I'm curious if you found a bug!   

In my test file, I did as @mshiggins suggested - to isolate the Roth IRA and inspect the plan results.   

I found that Quicken, for a Roth IRA,  does respect both the (no) RMD treatment (Image 1)  and tax free treatment on withdrawal (image 2).

Granted,  I wish that the tax deferred / free withdrawals and taxes (of various account types) and RMD line-items in the plan results were better delineated.

Image 1

Image 2 

This discussion has been closed.