Will sending payment though One Step Update still work after 8/31?

Options
For years, all I have done to pay my bills, is enter a payment in my checking account register and put "Send" in the check number field. Then, the "One Step Update" process, sends the instruction to my bank account and the bill is paid (but by whom?). I am not clear whether Quicken's soon-to-be gone Online Bill Pay has been sending my payments or if it is paid by Wells Fargo, my bank.

I have never setup the Bills & Income tab features such as Billers, scheduled payments, payment reminders, etc.. Under Account Settings > Online Services, my Wells Fargo checking account is setup as a "Direct Connect" method.

Can anyone tell me if this method will continue to work after 8/31/20 or if I have to set up this new Quicken Bill Manager? I am on an up-to-date Quicken Deluxe subscription and sounds like I'll have to pay a fee going forward if i must change my long-standing method of paying my bills :# .

Thanks for any guidance/advice!

Best Answers

Answers

• Art Masson
    Art Masson Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    This morning I discovered that I could not post manual payments with payment dates after 8-31-20 if I use my normal procedure of paying using the "Online Payee List" and selecting "use". This problem is apparently tied to the end of bill pay on 8/31/20. In order to post payments I must now (as a workaround) enter payments in the register directly. This seems to be a bug, but it's not clear if this will be fixed in a future release (no promises according to Quicken Support). If anyone has a different workaround, please advise.
  • karenjeter
    karenjeter Member
    Options
    Thanks so much jrfaris and Rocket J. Squirrel! I hovered over the check field and it directed me to check the status of the transaction. The popup showed the scheduled payment date and to contact Wells Fargo for further info. So, I'm very glad to know that I can keep on keeping on, as always, after August 31st.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    This morning I discovered that I could not post manual payments with payment dates after 8-31-20 if I use my normal procedure of paying using the "Online Payee List" and selecting "use". This problem is apparently tied to the end of bill pay on 8/31/20. In order to post payments I must now (as a workaround) enter payments in the register directly. This seems to be a bug, but it's not clear if this will be fixed in a future release (no promises according to Quicken Support). If anyone has a different workaround, please advise.
    You should be aware that if you are using Quicken Billpay - New, payments will not be made after 8/31 (even if you manage to enter them for a later date).  

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

• Art Masson
    Art Masson Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmm...please see the attached....it says "online bill pay"....but I didn't think I was using "Quicken Bill Pay" (I'm certainly not paying for it anyway). Please advise...
    boa.JPG 51.8K
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    It looks like your using the BofA billpay system and not Quicken Bill Pay so you should be OK.  There seems to be a bit of confusion because your post was combined with a previous post about the 8/31 deadline.  I'm not sure why you weren't able to pay from your Online Payee list but it may be a glitch relating to the Quicken Billpay demise.  Your OPL should show something like BOA checking in the FIs drop down menu at the top.  

Quicken user since 1995

• Art Masson
    Art Masson Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi jrfaris: This sounds like a bug that's been introduced in the Online Payee List screen to post payments to the Register....since I can enter transactions to be sent with dates after 8/31/20 directly into the register, but not from the OPL screen. Should I re-post this again, do you think? I don't want to upset whomever combined my original post with this thread.

I would like Quicken to address the problem with the "use" function in the Online Payee List, if possible. Also I think a lot of users who initiate payments from the Online Payee List will get surprised by this problem as they try to manually create payments with due dates beyond 8/31/20. Please advise how I should proceed.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It probably wouldn't hurt to re-post it with a title specific to the Online Payee List problem with Use.   In the body, make sure that you mention you are initiating payment through the bank bill pay system (not Quicken Billpay).  

This combined post is unusual with two separate identical threads having different titles.  Seems like putting the 8/31 date in the title may have somehow triggered it.

Quicken user since 1995

This discussion has been closed.