Performance view: Why do some securities show "N/A" in "Avg. Annual Return IRR (%) 5-Year" column?

Options
Bosco
Bosco Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I have the current version for the Mac. Some securities do not have a value in the Avg. Annual Return IRR (%) 5-Year" column. One account with securities that doesn't have a value has a ridiculous total % in that column of 7,710.6%. It can't be that some of the securities haven't been held for 5+ years because the numbers for other securities held <5years are correct. The same situation exists for VIMAX. There isn't a Buy to start only a Add Shares. The first transaction for the security IJH is a Add Shares not a Buy. What is the problem? Is this a bug with account using a Add Shares to start? Can I fix this?

I am moving from one broker to another and want to know if this will be a problem after moving all in kind securities to a new broker house. I assume there will be Add Shares when the transfer takes place.

edit: I have another account with a security that has a ridiculous IRR. It also had no Buy transaction, only an Add Transaction. When I changed the Add to a Buy that fixed the IRR. Looks like a bug in the IRR calc when there is an Add transaction. The prices and date for the Add transaction is not used in the IRR calc. Please fix this.

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hello @Bosco,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

If you are still needing assistance, would you mind posting back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're currently using? This information is available under Quicken>About Quicken

Please also let us know if your investment accounts that hold these securities are tracked manually in Quicken, or if you have them connected to your financial institution for automatic transaction downloads. 

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @Quicken_Natalie
    Hi Natalie,
    The accounts have always been connected to the financial institutions for automatic downloads. But I don't know if they were manually entered because of changing brokers or downloaded in 2015. Not sure what version was running then.
    The transactions in question were downloaded in 2015. But the current version should account for the Add transactions in IRR.
    The current version of Quicken is 5.17.5. See attachment for all information

[edited attached image to redact personal info]
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Bosco

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

I have been unable to recreate this issue on my Quicken file, I have been unable to get the Average Annual Return (5 Year) to reflect N/A. 

To confirm, have you checked for placeholders? These will be at the bottom of the register and will be light gray.

If you do not have any placeholders and suspect, that this issue with the "Add Shares" option, as a test what happens if you change this to a "Buy?" Do you still show N/A?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    No placeholders in light gray at the bottom of register. But I found another security that has "Placeholder" in the memo/notes column for a Add Shares type. But that security has a 5-year IRR that is a value, not N/A. However, I think the IRR is wrong. When I changed that one to a "Buy" and adjusted the cash, the 5yr IRR dropped a couple percent. Something is odd about the "Add Shares".

Testing the change from "Add Shares" to a "Buy" removes the "N/A", but then I need to remove cash for the same amount to get the correct cash balance. Change it back to "Add Shares" and the "N/A" returns. That's why I think it is a bug.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Bosco

Thank you for the response and let me know the results.

Please navigate to Help > Report a Problem to report this issue.

You will not receive a response, for the submission, however, this information will be forwarded to our development team.

I have been unable to create the issue in my own file, I apologize.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I submitted the problem via the Report a Problem and a link to this discussion in the description.
This discussion has been closed.