My back ups are a month behind. How do I correct this?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take that what you're telling us is that the most recent backup on your computer - or anywhere else - is a month old?
    You can't go "back in time" and recreate historical backups now, but you need to make sure adequate backups are available to you going forward.  Click Edit > Preferences... > Backup and set the parameters for both Automatic backups (backups done by Quicken when you close the program) and Manual backups (periodic reminders by Quicken to save a copy of your working file).
    Hard drive space is cheap these days so I'd suggest having Quicken make an automatic backup each time you close the program and keeping some reasonable number of these backup, maybe 10 - 15, on your hard drive.  If you have another drive or other media on which to save backups "manually" then set the reminder number according to your usage so that even if your main hard drive goes south you have a backup somewhere else that can fairly easily be brought up to date.
  • The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking about automatic backups when you exit Quicken? If so, I don't know how to correct that, however; if Quicken automatic backup is the only backup you have, at some point in time you are going to be in a world of hurt if your computer crashes and you have to reload Quicken.

The 3-2-1 backup rule is an easy-to-remember acronym for a common approach to keeping your data safe in almost any failure scenario. The rule is: keep at least three (3) copies of your data, and store two (2) backup copies on different storage media, with one (1) of them located offsite in the event something happens to your home and backup devices are destroyed.  Remember that any storage device will fail sooner or later and hard drives fail over time, whether because of a defect or simply wearing out. 

I back up my Quicken data to a flash drive, a portable hard drive, and to DropBox which comes free with Quicken. If my computer crashes I can always restore my Quicken data from one of those 3 storage devices. Since I have DropBox I don't store backup devices of site.

• macoun
    macoun Member
    Thank you for your advice. I do as you suggest every time I use Quicken.
    However my Quicken is the 2001 version. Would I be better updating. If so to what and how? Will all my current data be easily transferable and not lost?
    I know I have other backups!!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.  You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Windows 10.  You can download 2013 for free (I think it's the Deluxe version) using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

If your version is 2003 or earlier you will need to first convert to 2004.  Then convert to 2013.  Read that whole article on converting.

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.

The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.