Can't Merge Categories in Quicken Mac Premier 2020

Options
I cannot merge any categories. Following the instructions carefully, any way I try to do it the "Merge Category" instruction is always grayed out. Reading other similar threads (which seem to have been closed but never resolved with an answer or workaround): I am trying to merge similar categories (e.g. income vs. expense); it doesn't matter whether the category is used or unused. Always the merge command is grayed out. I have been using Quicken for years and this is the first time I've run into this. Ideas?
Tagged:

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2020
    Options
    One thing comes to mind: are the categories you are trying to merge at the top level of the hierarchy? If not, are they within the same parent category?

You can only merge top level categories or subcategories that are within the same parent category. If this is preventing you from doing the merge you want, you can first move a subcategory up to the top level using drag and drop. You would then be able to merge it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Phil Pifer
    Phil Pifer Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Rick. No, it does not matter the level of the category. The merge command is always grayed out and thus not executable
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    What version of Quicken Mac are you using? On the latest version 5.17.6 I am not experiencing this issue. You may want to contact Quicken support so they can check your data file and screen share to see the issue live.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Phil Pifer
    Phil Pifer Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm also on 5.17.6 - I will contact Quicken support (although they too often quickly opt to have me rebuild my file, and every time I've done that it doesn't fix the problem and causes others. I'll see what they say and report back here if there is or is not resolution. Others have been variously reporting a similar issue, so I don't think it's just me.
This discussion has been closed.