Capital One continuous loop of reauthorizing

Hello - I've seen many posts on Capital One authorization keeps a continuous loop of asking to reauthorize. I have reset my accounts, I have unlinked on capital one and relinked and the loop never goes away. Help. I haven't seen a solution in any other thread that is working for me.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @bethmde

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I apologize for the issues you're having. I was taking a look and wanted to see if there was something we may be able to try to break the connection to see if that may help.

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

We'll want to sign into capital one and in the top left hover across your name you'll find a tab that says security. From here you'll be able to see quicken is a connected application. Go ahead and unlink if from here.

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account

Once you've done this try again and see if you're still experiencing the authorizing each time. If you re we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• bethmde
    bethmde Member ✭✭
    Hello, thank you for your quick reply.
    1. I backed up my files
    2. I unlinked Quicken within Capital One site
    3. I deactivated online services of both Capital One savings accounts within Quicken
    4. I then chose to activate online services - for each account
    5. The request to authorize accounts repeated 3x until the red circle with slash through it showed up next to the 2 accounts, within the account list.
    6. I click on the icon, the same screen to authorize accounts comes up.
    7. I go through the authorization/syncing process once, and the icon does not go away nor do any transactions download.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @bethmde

Thanks for the update! That is odd in that case. If you wouldn't mind could we try in a test file next to see if we have a similar issue happen.

1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Once you've done this could you let us know if we're still having similar issues. Depending on what happens we can see what we can try next.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• bethmde
    bethmde Member ✭✭
    Thank you.
    1. I created a new file named Test file
    2. Quicken recognized my user name
    3. I chose add account, it prompted me select financial institution
    4. I selected Capital One 360
    5. The Authorize accounts login appeared
    6. I entered my capital one user name and password
    7. It recognized my accounts - I chose yes to authorized
    8. This time the system said Connecting with Capital One - it never said that before
    9. 2 new quicken accounts were created - and there were downloaded transactions to accept - from end of June 2020 to present
    10. I accepted downloaded transactions for both accounts
    11. Now register balance does not agree with online balance - which is easily fixable
    12. So what are the next steps? The authorizing and downloading of transactions work in the new Test File, but not yet in my regular daily file.
    13. If needed- I am happy to delete the accounts from my regular file and re-add. I have no bills or other things connected so it isn't that big of a hassle.
    14. Thank you.
  • bethmde
    bethmde Member ✭✭
    Hello,
    This morning I went to update transactions in another account (not capital one), and the Capital One request to authorize appeared, even though I wasn't trying to update capital one. It won't let me update one of my other accounts. It let's me update some other accounts w/o prompting for the Capital One Authorization log in.
  • bethmde
    bethmde Member ✭✭
    Hello - anyone there? What are the next steps?
  • Quicken Francisco
    @bethmde

Thanks for the update! I do apologize for taking a while with an update. I am wondering if deleting the accounts if you're ok with it. We'll save a backup before hand to have something to refer back to. It is interesting it's wanting to authorize capital one beforehand. Either way we'll try first to see what happens.

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Next we're going to delete the accounts The steps below will list how to do so. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-delete-account

Lasty we'll re add the accounts. In the test file your screen had a different popup from the original file. When we reconnect we're going to want to get that screen again ideally. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/adding-accounts-quicken-windows

Once you've tried this again let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• bethmde
    bethmde Member ✭✭
    Thank you, I will try this as soon as I can and will let you know. Appreciate all the support.
  • bethmde
    bethmde Member ✭✭
    Hello, sorry it took me a long time to get back to you, busy work week. I deleted my 2 capital one 360 savings accounts. I re-added the accounts using the authorization process. They did add back to quicken fine. When I go to update them - I do keep getting the continuous loop of Quicken asking me to authorize. I get the loop 3 or 4 times before I just give up.
    When I go to my Harford accounts - it was presenting me with the Capital One Authorization Screen. I deactivated the online portion of the Harford accounts. When I go to set up online for Harford - It keeps asking me for the security code (sent by mail) a few times before it eventually gives me a CC - 501 error.
    So now I have a total of 2 banks and 4 accounts that are not working as expected in Quicken.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @bethmde

Thanks for the update. At this point-- I do recommend contacting Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so. They'll need to take a look at your logs to find out what exactly is happening with both of the banks as it seems everything we've tried has been unsuccessful in the main file. Once you do get a chance to contact support let us know how it goes! I'll also leave our times down below so you can find a time that works best.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

Quicken Chat Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Sunday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

• jon_crawford
    jon_crawford Member ✭✭
    @bethmde

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have been having the exact same experience as you with Capital One Re-Authorization issues.
  • bethmde
    bethmde Member ✭✭
    Hi, sorry I didn't reply sooner. No, they never fixed it. I have found that if I click cancel a few times, the update then works. I am pondering starting a whole new quicken file as the one I am using is probably 20 years old and a mess.
  • Jumpy
    Jumpy Member ✭✭
    I closed one of the Capital One accounts, so closed it in Quicken as well. Since, then I am getting this continuous authorization loop. It pops up even if I deselect Capital One from one step update. Quicken, ant update on this? Can you help?
  • Jumpy
    Jumpy Member ✭✭
    Were you able to solve the issue?

> @jon_crawford said:
    > @bethmde
    >
    > Did you ever find a solution to this? I have been having the exact same experience as you with Capital One Re-Authorization issues.
  • bethmde
    bethmde Member ✭✭
    Hi There,
    I did create a work around. When the authorization screen comes up - I click the top right X to cancel out, it then asks me if I want to cancel and I say yes.
    I do this process twice. I click the x, I cancel, cancel again. I just keep trying to close the authorization process and eventually it updates like the other accounts. The loop also comes up for one of my Non-Capital one accounts and I do the same process.
    Super frustrating, wish Quicken would listen to us and fix it, but until then.....

Let me know if you want screen shots or more detail - happy to provide
  • Jumpy
    Jumpy Member ✭✭
    Thanks, My issue go resolved. Did you close any Capital One bank accounts in your your Quicken and/or deactivated any accounts in Quicken. If yes, then remove financial institution and accounts from those accounts. I wasn't able to remove this info from my closed account ; so I had to find an old backup before I closed that account, restore that backup, deactivate that account and now working fine!

> @bethmde said:
    > Hi There,
    > I did create a work around. When the authorization screen comes up - I click the top right X to cancel out, it then asks me if I want to cancel and I say yes.
    > I do this process twice. I click the x, I cancel, cancel again. I just keep trying to close the authorization process and eventually it updates like the other accounts. The loop also comes up for one of my Non-Capital one accounts and I do the same process.
    > Super frustrating, wish Quicken would listen to us and fix it, but until then.....
    >
    > Let me know if you want screen shots or more detail - happy to provide
  • Jumpy
    Jumpy Member ✭✭
    Thanks, My issue got resolved. Did you close any Capital One bank accounts in your Quicken and/or deactivated any accounts in Quicken? If yes, then remove financial institution and account numbers from those deactivated/closed accounts. I wasn't able to remove this info from my closed account ; so I had to find an old backup before I closed that account, restore that backup, deactivate that account, and issue got resolved.

> @Jumpy said:
    > Thanks, My issue go resolved. Did you close any Capital One bank accounts in your your Quicken and/or deactivated any accounts in Quicken. If yes, then remove financial institution and accounts from those accounts. I wasn't able to remove this info from my closed account ; so I had to find an old backup before I closed that account, restore that backup, deactivate that account and now working fine!
    >
    > > @bethmde said:
    > > Hi There,
    > > I did create a work around. When the authorization screen comes up - I click the top right X to cancel out, it then asks me if I want to cancel and I say yes.
    > > I do this process twice. I click the x, I cancel, cancel again. I just keep trying to close the authorization process and eventually it updates like the other accounts. The loop also comes up for one of my Non-Capital one accounts and I do the same process.
    > > Super frustrating, wish Quicken would listen to us and fix it, but until then.....
    > >
    > > Let me know if you want screen shots or more detail - happy to provide
    >
    >
  • pdpjp64
    pdpjp64 Member
    https://www.quicken.com/support/changes-your-capital-one-account-services-quicken