TD Bank credit card downloads import all transactions as payments

When downloading transactions over the past several months from TD Bank all credit card charges show up as payments in Quicken Home, Business, and Rental Property 2020, R28.28.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hi @straticon_cooper,

Can you tell me what kind of download connection you have with your credit card?  Just go to the credit card register and do a ctrl+Shift+E; then click on the "Online Services" tab and at the bottom of the "Online setup" box, you'll see the "Connection method.

Thanks.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx,
    thank you for your response. the connection method is direct connect.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @straticon_cooper

Can you tell me what the column heading are for the account in question?  Are the payments shown as charges?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. Drag and drop the image or, at the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons possibly beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, let's try something...

Open the account register and look at the top of "Date" column.  The little arrow/triangle in that box should be pointing up - if it isn't, click in that box to change it.  Then, on the top of the register, hit the "Reset" button.  

Let me know whether that resets the register to the correct settings and fixes the problem.

Thanks.

Frankx

• i use the following columns for all my credit card accounts: status, data, payee, category, downloaded payee, tag, memo, downloaded memo, charge, cleared, payment, balance (two line display for each transaction). TD Bank is the only account of about 30 for which i experience this problem. i've attempted to talk with TD Bank and simply put, they advise it's not their problem. it's more of a nuisance than a major issue, as i use a manual workaround to correct the charges, but i was curious if anyone else has run into this issue. thank you
  • data is date
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Okay, so my little "reset" suggestion apparently did not work...

I only saw one similar message thread here in the Community - and that one was closed before a solution was found.

You might try setting up a Quicken "test file" and then setting up the credit card account in that file and connecting to TD Bank, to see if that new account downloads correctly.  If it does, it could mean there is file corruption in your current data file, at which time, I'd suggest that you try "validate & repair" of your file.

p.s. - One more thing - in the account register, open up account details - Ctrl+Shift+E and double check that the account type is "Credit".  If not, let me know.

Frankx

• i keep date always as you recommend (pointing up to maintain chronological order). the account type is set to credit. payments download as payments. all charges also download as payments. i'm not a superuser but i've been using quicken since 1985. in all my years as a user this issue has only happened with TD Bank. i lean toward this being a TD Bank Credit Card Services specific issue.

i'm most appreciative of your suggestions and your taking the time to offer your insight and ideas. i don't want you to spend any more time on this as i am able to correct it each month manually. i'll try resetting the account before my next download and will advise if that makes a difference.

thank you for your help and time.

be safe, steve cooper
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review a download log file on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can be found at this website.
    • To start Chat or see the support phone number, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @straticon_cooper

I understand and agree it seems to be TDBank that is the cause.

Thanks and keep well & safe!

Frankx