If I want to move from Quicken 2000 to a more updated version, how do I go about doing that?

I just took over from a colleague who had used Quicken 2000 Basic (Windows) for many years. The computer it's installed on is on its last leg. I would like to move to a newer version and transfer the data that I have on there to the new version. What would be the best version for me to move to? (I was comfortable with the layout of Quicken 2000 and it did what I needed it to do so I would prefer to move to a version that is not dramatically different.). How would I transfer the data from the old version to a new one? Is there a web-based option that would serve me well? (I am brand new to Quicken...appreciate any tips I can get.)
Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• mattkilk
    mattkilk Member ✭✭
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. I followed all of the directions in the links and first downloaded the 2004 version and ultimately the 2013 version. It looks like all of my data transferred successfully to the 2013 version. For my needs I think the 2013 will be fine. I don't think there is any urgent need to go to a more recent version. That said - is it safe to say that if I need to in the future it won't be an issue?

Here is my other question. When I downloaded the new version (2013) did that give me a "fully functioning licensed copy" of the software? I just wanted to be sure that it isn't some sort of trial version that would limit me down the road. To be honest, I was expecting to have to make a payment for the upgrade and I was never prompted to do so. Finally, if I want to move my new 2013 version from one computer to another, am I free to do so (perhaps by copying to a USB drive?)

I appreciate any assistance with these questions. Thank you very much.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK, the 2013 Deluxe version you downloaded is fully functional. It should run for as long as Windows doesn't make changes in the future which cause an incompatibility.
    If you ever need to move Q 2013 to a different computer, use a saved copy of the downloaded installation file to install it on the other computer. Use the procedure I gave you earlier to move your data files between computers.
    We cannot forecast what Quicken might do in the future with respect to compatibility, but at least for now you can upgrade to the now current version of Quicken ("Subscription" aka Q 2020) and convert your Q 2013 data file. We (other Quicken users) hope that in the future there will always be a way to upgrade from an older Quicken version to a newer one.
This discussion has been closed.