How to split a transaction that is variable each month.

So I have a utility bill. It is a different amount each month. Like an electric bill. I want to split the bill into 2 categories/tags, etc. One part would be fixed. The other variable. So for example, I get a water bill. I want to allocate $50 each month to the house category. And the other amount which will vary from $10-$80 a month, to another category called renter. Each month, the bill comes in from the biller. It is on the biller list. I have it connected to the biller account. I also have it linked to a reminder transaction. The reminder transaction seems to be fixed and I have to adjust it each month when the actual transaction downloads from the bank. If this is not doable, any suggestions on how to accomplish something equivalent? Basically, I have a utility bill to be split between 2 people; me and my renter. My renter pays a fixed portion, while I pay the rest, high or low.

Best Answer

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you're willing to unlink this biller, you will have other options to setup an estimated amount instead of fixed.

However, having to adjust the split every month to keep your records accurate is unavoidable.

Another thought I have is to enter the fixed portions paid by your renter in the income reminder for his payment in the split.  These amounts will then show up as offsets to your utility bill categories and might save you some effort.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro

Answers

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you're willing to unlink this biller, you will have other options to setup an estimated amount instead of fixed.

However, having to adjust the split every month to keep your records accurate is unavoidable.

Another thought I have is to enter the fixed portions paid by your renter in the income reminder for his payment in the split.  These amounts will then show up as offsets to your utility bill categories and might save you some effort.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    I like your second idea: Enter renter fixed portion as income reminder in utility category. Thanks. You really are a Super User! Have a great day.
This discussion has been closed.