How to remove bill/income reminder items from banking totals

Hello,
I am trying to find a way to easily see in a report how much I've spent/received on my bill/income reminders and how much I've spent/received that are not in this list. I've never used Tags, not sure how they are useful. But would that be a way to do this? For example, if I Tag all my bill and income reminders as "B/I", then could I sort them in a report that puts "B/I" items together with a total, and the rest of the month's items in another section of the report with a total? Or is there an easier way to do this??? Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Ray Spickler it sounds like you may be trying to see your mandatory vs. discretionary spending.

If so, I would look at Category Groups. You could have one Category Group for categories used in your bill and Income reminders and a second Category Group for your other expense categories. 

There are various reports that have Category Group selection, sorting, and subtotals. 

Using Category Groups would be a one time set up as opposed to Tagging, which depending how you apply tags may be an ongoing effort. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ray Spickler
    Ray Spickler Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Mshiggins, that's what I want. I quickly found that I couldn't do tags in the bill reminder. Thanks, and I'll create those two categories. Thanks to all who chimed in!

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hi @Ray Spickler

Yes, that would be a way to effectively do that.  Also, I can't think of another way to accomplish what you want to do.

Good luck!

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mshiggins
    Answer ✓
    @Ray Spickler it sounds like you may be trying to see your mandatory vs. discretionary spending.

If so, I would look at Category Groups. You could have one Category Group for categories used in your bill and Income reminders and a second Category Group for your other expense categories. 

There are various reports that have Category Group selection, sorting, and subtotals. 

Using Category Groups would be a one time set up as opposed to Tagging, which depending how you apply tags may be an ongoing effort. 

• Ray Spickler
    Ray Spickler Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Mshiggins, that's what I want. I quickly found that I couldn't do tags in the bill reminder. Thanks, and I'll create those two categories. Thanks to all who chimed in!
  • Rich_M I did that, but on a previous month with transactions already in the register. I'll look at which way is easier for a future month, editing the reminders so it works on all months going forward. Not sure if categories can be applied to previous transactions, but will check that too. I've never really gotten the budget to work well for me. I think separating them this way will satisfy my needs. Thanks!
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can easily recategorize or retag previous transactions easily depending on which choice works best for you.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • mshiggins
    The standard advice is before starting any mass transaction updates - like recategorizing - is to make a backup so you have a way to recover in case the results are not what you expected. 

• I backup every time I enter transactions. Thanks.
  • Ray Spickler
    Ray Spickler Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @mshiggins I discovered that things like car loans do not allow you to assign them to a Category Group, at least it doesn't appear that way. I have them set up as Transfers. Can you confirm if this is true? Is there a way around it? I'd like to have them appear with the other monthly bill reminders in the same Category Group total. Thanks.
  • @mshiggins @Rich_M I ended up taking my loan splits, and tagging them as bills on all the lines. That way it captures them with my other monthly bills, and I can tailor the report along Tag lines. There might be a more elegant way, but it works. Thanks both for your help, and I'm going to show Rich's answer as accepted too, if the system lets me do more than one acceptance.
This discussion has been closed.