Getting rid of old data file on upgrade / install

Options
I want to install my subscription Quicken Deluxe on my Windows 10 computer but do not want to bring my old data with it. I currentLy have Quicken 2016 installed.
Do I uninstall the 2016 version first. Is there a way to delete the current active 2016 data file from my computer? (I will keep my 2016 backups for a while. )
Thanks

Answers

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Options
    When you install a new version of Quicken your old version is uninstalled automatically.

If you want to start fresh with a new data file you can do that after the install completes. 

You will have a choice of either opening an existing data file or starting a new one. 

You can manually delete your existing data file whenever you want using File  Explorer, just select the file and choose delete. 

I would recommend waiting a bit before you do your cleanup. 

Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mike_L said:
    I want to install my subscription Quicken Deluxe on my Windows 10 computer but do not want to bring my old data with it. I currentLy have Quicken 2016 installed.
    Do I uninstall the 2016 version first. Is there a way to delete the current active 2016 data file from my computer? (I will keep my 2016 backups for a while. )
    Thanks

Hi @Mike_L ,

First of all, Quicken Subscription Program reads and write to Quicken 2016 Data File, without any data conversion, whatsoever.

If you don't keep up with your Yearly Membership and it lapses, you will see ADS for Quicken losing space in the program, so you should save Quicken 2016 installer.

I never liked allowing Quicken to remove the previous version, so I would uninstall Quicken 2016 according to this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions 

If you want to have a fresh data file, I would create a data folder in Documents called "Quicken Subscription Data".

All up to you.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your data files end in .qdf and .qdf-backup.  You can have as many separate data files as you want.  Most of us have several like to test in.  I would install the new version and let your existing data file convert.  Then maybe rename it to like 2016Old, etc.  so you can refer to it if you need to in the future.   Then start a new data file.  Go up to File-New Quicken File. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.