Need help with recording dividend income

Options
:# I've recently begun using Quicken 2020 after years and years of Quicken 2007. For the first time, I'm trying to record dividend income. I've figured out how to enter the amount, but I don't know how to deposit it to the account at the brokerage where they keep cash.

It was a fairly simple process in 2007 to record the income and say where it was to be deposited. I don't see how to do this in 2020.

So far my experience using the new version has been smooth, but this has me baffled. Maybe I'm too new, but it seems the old program was easier to use for dividend income. It's easier for some other transactions.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi, 1200flasher. This isn't hard.

If it is a separate account holding the cash, simply create a second transaction (Type Payment/Deposit, and make that a transfer transaction moving the $ over to the desired account. You can do this either by using the Description/Category [Account Name] like you did in 2007, or you can have the Transfer column visible and enter the destination account there.

The single transactions that Buy/Sell/Dividends and transfers in a single step no longer exist. 

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi, 1200flasher. This isn't hard.

If it is a separate account holding the cash, simply create a second transaction (Type Payment/Deposit, and make that a transfer transaction moving the $ over to the desired account. You can do this either by using the Description/Category [Account Name] like you did in 2007, or you can have the Transfer column visible and enter the destination account there.

The single transactions that Buy/Sell/Dividends and transfers in a single step no longer exist. 
  • 1200flasher
    1200flasher Member ✭✭
    Options
    I thought I had replied to your answer, but I don't see it here. I appreciate your response and I'll give it a try. I like much about Quicken 2020, I hope this isn't what turns me away.

Thanks, John
  • 1200flasher
    1200flasher Member ✭✭
    Options
    This works though it feels awkward. I imagine I'll get used to it like I got used to the way 2007 worked. The graphic you included was really helpful. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.