how to transfer Quicken 2020 in Windows 7 to Windows 10 install?

Hi, I am reading questions here re: how to transfer Quicken from one computer to another computer that has a newer Windows version on it. But my situation involves keeping the same computer, but upgrading Windows 7 to Win 10. It will be a fresh, clean install. Meaning wiping everything on drive before it. (I think that's what happens with new Windows installs.)

How do I transfer and install my current Quicken software and files after installing Win. 10?
(my original software is a download direct from Quicken office when there was an error with my previous software dvd version. I don't think I have the newer download software anywhere. Who knows, it may be in computer somewhere.)

I will need to re-install lots of software programs and apps. I've dreaded this change of Windows. A project for a pandemic weekend, I guess.

Thank you so much!
Massachusetts234Longtime Quicken user. Use only for Reports of totals of categories/expenses to enter in tax return purposes only. No other services.Windows 10 - PC only. (no mobile or app use)

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do a nondestructive install of Windows 10, but there are advantages to doing a clean install. The Quicken data files should be backed up to a USB flash drive and if you have available, an additional flash drive just in case.
    Once you have Win10 up and running you can go to quicken.com and redownload and install Quicken. Open Quicken and select open from backup, selecting the current file you wish to use. This will load the file and when you exit Quicken will have placed the data file in the Documents\Quicken folder as needed. You should be good to go.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I am reading questions here re: how to transfer Quicken from one computer to another computer that has a newer Windows version on it. But my situation involves keeping the same computer, but upgrading Windows 7 to Win 10. It will be a fresh, clean install. Meaning wiping everything on drive before it. (I think that's what happens with new Windows installs.)

How do I transfer and install my current Quicken software and files after installing Win. 10?
    (my original software is a download direct from Quicken office when there was an error with my previous software dvd version. I don't think I have the newer download software anywhere. Who knows, it may be in computer somewhere.)

I will need to re-install lots of software programs and apps. I've dreaded this change of Windows. A project for a pandemic weekend, I guess.

Thank you so much!

Did you buy Windows 10 or are you upgrading to Windows 10, because you can Windows 10 for free, still? Don't forget to install the Motherboard Drivers for your Motherboard.

Do a Manual Backup of your Quicken Data File.

Read the procedure. You don't need to uninstall. But you do need to Restore your Manual Backup, you created. Previous version of Quicken, is not needed.

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a "dirty" upgrade from Win7 to Win10 on one of my PCs and it worked fine. Quicken and most other programs were undisturbed.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Thank you all.
    A lot of info. For the replies--
    To clarify--
    Current: Pc with Windows 7 Ultimate (?) 32bit and Quicken 2020. Quicken 2020 software originally came as a download/install by sharing screen with corporate Quicken. (there was a significant flaw in my original 2019 DVD software. Long story. But, they provided 6 month subscription. Ended June. I renewed.)
    - (For Win. 10, I wasn't able to locate a "free" install. But I wanted to buy a physical DVD anyway.)
    - I will do a full, fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 32bit. My files in Windows 7 will be wiped as a result. This is fine. I want to start fresh with the PC.

I will have a full back up of all my files from current Windows 7 which I keep on an external hard drive.
    Do I understand that after install of Win10, I do not need to re-install the Quicken 2020 software itself?
    I will transfer all my files to new Windows 10 from my external hard drive that I've backed up.

It's just the software itself that I don't understand IF and HOW to re-install.
    Do I need to re-install the Q2020 software itself. If I have the software from the person who shared screen with me, I wouldn't know where to find it.
    But do I need it at all?
    Someone said to download from Quicken website...

(if that particular answer and instruction is in the link from Creator's reply, I am so sorry but I cannot follow the instruction. I was hoping this would be simpler. I understand a fair amount as maybe "intermediate level" about PC's. I cannot follow all of it.)

Thank you for your patience.
    Massachusetts234Longtime Quicken user. Use only for Reports of totals of categories/expenses to enter in tax return purposes only. No other services.Windows 10 - PC only. (no mobile or app use)
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    - I will do a full, fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 32bit. My files in Windows 7 will be wiped as a result. This is fine. I want to start fresh with the PC.

Do I understand that after install of Win10, I do not need to re-install the Quicken 2020 software itself?
    The clean install of Win10 will erase everything and you will have to reinstall all your software, Quicken included.
    Go to https://www.quicken.com/my-account and log in there using your Quicken ID. Scroll down and you should see a link to download a fresh copy of Quicken for Windows. If you don't, you will need to contact Quicken Support.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order to get to this Webpage, you need to be signed in, into your Microsoft Account in your Web Browser.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?tduid=(4e6e5b5aaabf2cdcf40a873f29804e0d)(259740)(2542549)(UUwpUdUnU49825)(dwp)

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209  This is the link for you to

Create Windows 10 installation media

You can create an ISO Image, which you can burn to a DVD + or -R Disk or choose to upgrade now.

Make sure that your Computer can be upgraded to Windows 10.

"

Download Windows 10

Before updating, please refer to the Windows release information status for known issues to confirm your device is not impacted."

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.