Error in stock valuation I can't find

Hi My valuation jumps to $40 million dollar (I wish) on one day and then goes back to normal. I have tried to redownload quotes. I can't seems to find the error. How can I find this and correct it? Thank you.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It could be one of two things: 1) Your brokerage pushed out a wildly inaccurate balance (shares held), and Quicken compensated with a placeholder which resolved itself with a future correct download (less likely) or 2) an inaccurate price quote.

I would select "Investing" in the sidebar to examine all investment accounts. Then, switch to Portfolio view and look for a spike in the graph. Note the date. (You might have to change the time frame of the graph to get the proper resolution. 

If there is a spike, then enter its date at the upper right of the Portfolio view to show the holdings on that date. The erroneous one should be evident, and you can examine the price for that security on that date.
  • fun1000000
    fun1000000 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    “I would select "Investing" in the sidebar to examine all investment accounts. Then, switch to Portfolio view and look for a spike in the graph. Note the date. (You might have to change the time frame of the graph to get the proper resolution.”

What I’d do.....As soon as it jumps to $40 million, I’d sell.    :D 
  • occativ43
    occativ43 Member ✭✭
    How do I get into the pricing data. The pricing of the buys are correct.
    Is there a way to rebuild the data base of quotes. It is with money market. So it is always $1.00. Thank you
  • fun1000000
    fun1000000 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    It seems no one else answered your question. I will try to help, only thing is I use Quicken for Windows. I assume Mac is somewhat similar. I'm using Apple as an example.
    Go to portfolio view and click on your money market. it will bring up the following:

Then click on more and it will bring up the following below:

Then look through the prices and find the one that doesn't show $1 and click on edit and  correct it.

Hope this helps

• occativ43
    occativ43 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I had my money market jump on one day to a ridiculous number. Appreciate everyone’s help
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2020
    occativ43 said:
    How do I get into the pricing data. The pricing of the buys are correct.
    Is there a way to rebuild the data base of quotes. It is with money market. So it is always $1.00. Thank you
    Sorry for the delay, occativ43.

You mentioned that this was a Money Market fund. The important question here is if your balance is being shown as shares held of the fund, or if your brokerage pushes out a cash balance (which is still likely held is some kind of MM fund behind the scenes.) 

If you have actual buys/sells of the MM fund, then you can go to Window:Securities. Then, double click on the MM fund, and you can click Price History at the top. There, you can scroll through the prices to see if one stands out. Being a MM fund, this should be obvious as anything outside $1 is suspect. There is a rebuild command in that window under the Options button at the bottom.

If you have this account online (i.e., you download transactions), and the suspect amount is simply a cash balance pushed out, then I think it was simply a wild number they pushed out. Subsequent updates caused the issue to resolve. If this is the case, then I wouldn't worry. It isn't like there are incorrect transactions-Quicken was simply displaying what they were reporting.
This discussion has been closed.