Prompted to "Add Account" and enter creditentials for closed accounts during update

Starting about a week ago - coincidentally with the update to R29.22 (27.1.29.22) - I am getting prompted to "Add Account" and enter online credentials whenever I run One Step Update - for accounts that have been closed and dormant for years. These accounts are closed with the financial institution as well as "closed" in Quicken (via edit account/close account/confirm). The account close procedure in Quicken automatically disables and removes online updates - and once an account is closed all the online options are removed (so I couldn't try to manually remove online access for the accounts). It meant that OSU took about 10 minutes instead of 3 and that I had to sit there and babysit it because there were about 9 dialog boxes that required me to click cancel/confirm.

I was very surprised to not see any posts with similar problems linked to the same update. This was the first update for me (though I promptly update every time I get a notice in the OSU summary) that had the (relatively) new key symbol next to a number of accounts indicating I didn't need to enter a password any longer (see: https://www.quicken.com/support/why-dont-i-need-enter-my-bank-password-download-my-bank).

I figured tons of people would be impacted and screaming so there'd be a new Quicken update any day to resolve it. No dice. Searching yielded little assistance.

Today I finally found a helpful suggestion buried in this old thread (hat tip to IB (https://community.quicken.com/profile/IB); thread is here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859242/prompted-to-add-account-every-time-during-one-step-update).

IB suggested going into my Account List (toggle to show hidden accounts) and manually removing the "Financial Institution" name from all closed/hidden/deactivated accounts. I did this - again only for accounts properly marked in Quicken with the red circle "account closed" icon - and low and behold it worked. That seems like an insane solution, was quite time consuming, and means I've lost some of the account history (I don't always name the account with the financial institution's name). But at least I can now use OSU without sitting there like a dummy for 10 minutes clicking through dialog boxes.

Posting in hopes this is helpful to someone else.

Answers

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Curious to know if you had run any of the data file validation routines; Copy, Validate, super-Validate?
  • DavidW
    DavidW Member ✭✭
    Good question. I did not. Years ago Support waived me off on using validate (and especially Super Validate). Since this started immediately after the update to R29.22, I believed it to be a program problem rather than a data problem. But unfortunately now I can't say for sure.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I'd be inclined to think a little of both.  An old legacy issue of a closed account not getting truly deactivated in the data file settings and a software change that no longer hides the issue.
  • DavidW
    DavidW Member ✭✭
    Fair enough. FWIW I ran a normal validate just now and had zero errors. The only change between "bad behavior" and "good behavior" for OSU was manually deleting the Financial Institution's name from the closed/hidden account details. Perhaps the "account close" routine is supposed to do that and didn't (I doubt it because it was listed in all my closed accounts - those at banks which were and which were not causing issues during OSU), but even so - that's a silly problem to present to the user. If the account is closed and deactivated, there's zero justification for prompting the user with the "Add Account" dialog during OSU.
  • mariap
    mariap Member ✭✭
    I have had this problems for a long time now. Your instructions solved my problem, thanks
This discussion has been closed.