Why does Quicken keep asking for my password

Options
I have two QDF files that I switch back and forth as one is my personal finances and the other is for a nonprofit that I'm treasurer of. It seems like anymore when I open my the QDF for my personal fiances Quicken is now prompting me to enter my password. Once entered everything works fine and as long as I don't switch to the nonprofit QDF I don't have to re-enter my password. It only seems to be an issue when I change back from nonprofit to personal this is happening. Can anyone explain why this is occuring?

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is working as designed.

Does both Data Files have the exact same information listed under Quicken ID in Preferences? Or does it display this:

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Moondoggy_1
    Moondoggy_1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Both were the same. It shows my quicken ID, email address and my contact info.
  • thecreator
    Options
    In order to minimize the amount of time, you need to enter your password, try working with each data file, on alternate days.

Or you can try to reinstall Quicken according to this procedure and see if it helps:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

• Moondoggy_1
    Moondoggy_1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's some additional information regarding my issue. My personal QDF file is not password protected however the nonprofit QDF file is. If I was logged into the Nonprofit account when I ended my Quicken session, Quicken will bring up the password entry screen the next time I open Quicken. If I enter the password and Quicken renders the data and I go to FILE on the menu and select my personal QDF file name at the bottom of the menu, Quicken will swap me over to that QDF without prompting me for my Quicken Password. However, if I'm presented with a password prompt and I X out of that applet and X out from the file open file applet screen and then go to the Quicken FILE menu and select my personal QDF from the bottom of the drop down Quicken always prompts me for my Quicken password.

Apparently, on restart, Quicken must have kept the previously entered Quicken account password and confirms that QDF that's being loaded is the same as when the app closed and if a match occurs, the Quicken password is automatically validated. However, if the QDF last used is NOT loaded then Quicken has no means of confirmation and requires you to enter in your Quicken password. I'm sure that this has something to do with validating that your account password is still valid but it seems strange that it's somehow tied to loading a QDF file when the Quicken account password is associated with the application.
  • thecreator
    Options
    Here's some additional information regarding my issue. My personal QDF file is not password protected however the nonprofit QDF file is. If I was logged into the Nonprofit account when I ended my Quicken session, Quicken will bring up the password entry screen the next time I open Quicken. If I enter the password and Quicken renders the data and I go to FILE on the menu and select my personal QDF file name at the bottom of the menu, Quicken will swap me over to that QDF without prompting me for my Quicken Password. However, if I'm presented with a password prompt and I X out of that applet and X out from the file open file applet screen and then go to the Quicken FILE menu and select my personal QDF from the bottom of the drop down Quicken always prompts me for my Quicken
    Hi @Moondoggy_1 ,

Solution: If you don't have the room, for dual-booting your computer, then the only workaround is to create a Notepad File, that contains the current information for your Non-Profit file. It would be the Quicken UserId, which the Email Address and the password. and its Quicken Data File, in case you need to change it, because you will be changing it.

Now start by using File Explorer, to rename the file to nonprofit . The Default Extension is QDF and do not need to add it.

Now click on nonprofit to open it in Quicken and enter its Quicken User ID and password,.

Now go to Edit then Preferences. Click on Quicken ID and Cloud Accounts.
    Then click Sign in using a different Quicken ID or Sign in as a different user. Type Yes to confirm sign out. Click Sign out.

Now Enter your Quicken ID (Email Address) and password. Click Sign in. Click Done.
    Go back into preferences. Click on Mobile & Sync. Make sure that Sync is off, unless you are syncing.

Finally do a Manual Backup after all changes are made.

Close and reopen Quicken. Enter the File password. Click File and then click on your Quicken Data File.

Is it going directly into your Quicken Data File?

Review the link in my signature.

Questions?

This discussion has been closed.