Crash when accepting downloaded txns into Quicken. Lost transactions. How to recover?

Brian94582
Brian94582 Member ✭✭
Quicken premier 27.1.29.22.

When accepting downloaded transactions from Ameritrade into Quicken, it crashed. Bugsplat crash report sent in under my email id. Second time in two days. Same place. Different accounts.

Certainly not uncommon for Quicken to crash (happens regularly to me these days), but first time in 20 years that I can remember losing all the downloaded transactions.
Yesterday it was a dozen or so, so I just typed them back in. After dealing with all the cusip mismatches, it took me and hour or two.

Today it was 2 or 3 weeks worth involving about 160 mostly complex options transactions. No way am I typing all those in.

This is the way I did it.
1. Downloaded txns from Ameritrade into Excel.
2. Downloaded some software I found on the web to convert Excel to QIF. (Only allowed 10 at a time unless I paid for it)
3 Imported QIF file into Quicken.
4. Edited pretty much every transaction for Investment action errors, Cusip mismatches, Options Qty errors, Ticker symbol mismatches.

I've just finished after 4 or 5 hours of painful work. Reconciling options open/close pairs is not fun in Quicken.

My topics for discussion are:

1. It would be nice to be able to re-download txns using a date range like you can for most credit card or bank websites? Even if there are dups, it's easier to delete that re-enter.
2. It would be nice to be able to go on to Ameritrade's website and "push" a QFX or QIF file out. I can do that on my bank and credit card websites.
3. It would be nice if Quicken supplied a utility to do this conversion from Excel. I lost some bank transactions last year for a different reason and had to go through a similar conversion.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Brian94582

I's sorry to hear you are having these problems with Quicken.  It sounds like you've been pretty busy lately just trying to maintain the integrity of your data, and that is obviously something that troubles all of us.

I was just wondering whether you've validated and or super validated your Quicken data file nd what the results were.  Also, wonder whether you have contacted Quicken Support and, if so, how that went.

On your topics for discussion, I have to agree that all three things would be good to have.  On # 1 - I agree that some banks and credit card providers have these options.  Clearly #2 would depend entirely on the financial institution to make this available, and in fact there are some very large FI's that have this feature currently (Vanguard is one that comes to mind).  And for #3 having this feature as part of Quicken (if that would even be possible) would certainly make things easier for users.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Brian94582
    Brian94582 Member ✭✭
    Hi @Frankx,
    Thanks for your quick reply. I have contacted Quicken Support, indirectly, through submission of the crash report. I assume that someone looks at those.
    I have run validate, and super-validate, and there is nothing untoward apart from a few of the notorious "Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_11b80b71" 0/ 0/1900" errors.
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Hello @Brian94582,
    Sorry to hear you have been having some difficulty.
    To try to help you get your situation fixed most efficiently within Quicken, please contact support directly.

1. It would be nice to be able to re-download txns using a date range like you can for most credit card or bank websites?
    Agreed, it would be nice if your Financial Institution offered such. That is an internal decision for your FI to make.
    Even if there are dups, it's easier to delete that re-enter.
    Yes, agreed. 

2. It would be nice to be able to go on to Ameritrade's website and "push" a QFX or QIF file out. I can do that on my bank and credit card websites.
    Agreed again, that would be nice. On the other hand, the expectation is that Quicken is already receiving properly formatted information from them. Until alternate pathways become available, let's try to get the established pathway working correctly: contact support directly. 

3. It would be nice if Quicken supplied a utility to do this conversion from Excel. I lost some bank transactions last year for a different reason and had to go through a similar conversion.
    Sorry, this is unlikely to happen. 
  • JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    There is a procedure to to reset the last downloaded transaction:  I'm not sure how it works for investment accounts though you might want to give it a try.
    1. Go to the Online Center by selecting the Tools menu > Online Center.
    2. In the Online Center hold down the Ctrl key and click Contact Info.
    3. In the Refresh Online Transaction Information window, choose the account you are having problems with downloading a full range of transactions.
    4. Click on the Reset DTSTART button.
      Warning: Using this function resets Quickens list of last downloaded transactions. This means that after this button is reset, it is possible you will download several duplicate transactions.
    5. Choose the earliest date of a transaction you are missing and click OK.
    6. Click on the Refresh button.
    7. Attempt to download again.
  • Brian94582
    Brian94582 Member ✭✭
    Hi @QuickenHugh,
    Thanks for your feedback.
    This issue happened again last week. While Quicken didn't crash this time, I did lose 5 days worth of securities transactions. I re-entered them manually this time, and the securities symbols and options codes already existed, so I know the txns came down, but then never appeared in the "accept" list (other than 3 that needed "specify lots" applied to them).
    Same account as last time, and while going through the process of manually reconciling with my brokerage statement, discovered I was missing a handful from May, also. That probably explains why I haven't been able reconcile accurately for 6 months. I do a lot of trading, so reconciling exactly is not always worth the time I need to spend to do it.
    Anyway, I will be opening a support case.
  • Brian94582
    Brian94582 Member ✭✭
    Hi @JohnA,
    Interesting. I will try that next time.
    Thanks for your feedback.
This discussion has been closed.