How can I convert an account from "asset" to "cash"

Options
Bertilak
Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
I created an account years ago and mistakenly created it as an asset instead of as cash.

Can I convert this from "asset" to "cash"?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sherlock said:
    Bertilak said:
    Sherlock and Squirrel,

Thanks! My first thought, before I posted here, was to export the account as a QIF then import it after deleting the original account and editing the QIF to change the first line from
    !Type:Oth A
    to 
    !Type:Cash

Might that be more reliable? Will it actually work?
    It's feasible but less reliable than simply creating the Cash account and moving the transactions.
    Sherlock,

I did that -- created a new cash account and moved the transactions. This worked but with a complication. If a transaction to be moved is part of a split transaction Quicken will not move it.

I dealt with that by doing a restore, removing that part of the split and making it a separate transaction, then redoing the move. Once the move was complete I recreated the split. That part did not really NEED to be done as the two, now separate, transactions kept things properly balanced. but I wanted to keep the split in its original form to more accurately reflect what actually happened.  All is now well.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You cannot change the account type from Asset to Cash.
    What you can do is create a new Cash account and move all the transactions into it from the Asset account.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Sherlock and Squirrel,

Thanks! My first thought, before I posted here, was to export the account as a QIF then import it after deleting the original account and editing the QIF to change the first line from
    to 

I guess I could make a copy of the whole QDF file, give the above a try, then restore the QDF if it doesn't go well. I will try that now!

I'M BACK ---

It didn't work. So I restored the original QDF file. I will need to investigate more.

The original account had about 150 transactions but after re-importing it there were only about 21. A mystery.  I couldn't identify anything unique about the transactions that were (or weren't) skipped on the import. The QIF file seemed normal but that's one of the things I need to look closer at.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not feasible if you have any Attachments or Notes on any transactions. Those cannot be transferred via QIF. Just do it within Quicken as advised.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sherlock said:
    Bertilak said:
    Sherlock and Squirrel,

to 

It's feasible but less reliable than simply creating the Cash account and moving the transactions.
    Sherlock,

I did that -- created a new cash account and moved the transactions. This worked but with a complication. If a transaction to be moved is part of a split transaction Quicken will not move it.

I dealt with that by doing a restore, removing that part of the split and making it a separate transaction, then redoing the move. Once the move was complete I recreated the split. That part did not really NEED to be done as the two, now separate, transactions kept things properly balanced. but I wanted to keep the split in its original form to more accurately reflect what actually happened.  All is now well.
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock said:
    Bertilak said:
    Sherlock and Squirrel,

to 

Sherlock,

Moving the transactions to a new cash account worked but with a complication. If the transaction  to be moved is part of a split transfer from another account Quicken will not move it.

I fixed this by un-splitting the transaction, doing the move, and then reconstructing the split. All is now well.