Quicken for Mac v6.0 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we're starting to roll out v6.0 which is a Universal app meaning it takes full advantage of the power and speed of new Apple Silicon M1 Macs. We're also introducing a new re-designed window that is inspired by macOS Big Sur with a full-height sidebar, no title bar, and a cleaner more refined look for the top of the screen where you access home, reports, and the other key views of Quicken. We've also replaced our icons and adopted Apple standards to provide a consistent and familiar experience to hopefully make using Quicken easier. As part of this redesign, we've changed the color of the Today line to green making it easier to see at all times, and we've added a new "Q" button in the upper right corner that provides a lot of the same functionality as the old title bar.  We realize that change can be hard but we hope that because things haven't been moved, the impact to your workflow will be minimal. 

Some other small tweaks in this release are drill-down on net worth reports to see the transactions that make up your amounts, and Quick Pay and Check pay enhancements to help you better monitor your quota and to streamline the payment process.  This is also the first release that requires macOS 10.13 and above.

Let us know if you run into new issues in the comments.  We'll be monitoring this post for any problems with 6.0 so we can react faster.

UPDATE
  • 11/17 - Initial rollout of 6.0. Only some people will be automatically notified.  If you'd like to upgrade to the release without waiting, just go to Check for Updates under the Quicken menu to force the update.
  • 11/20 - Released 6.0.1 to all customers.

Comments

• Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I updated yesterday before updating my accounts.  When I updated all accounts updated except for my Wells Fargo Asset Management account.  I received a message that said "Incorrect Customer ID or Password/PIN.   When I clicked the "Set Up" button and reentered the username & password, I got the same message.  I visited the Wells Fargo website using the same username & password and was able to log in so it isn't that their website was down.   Getting same message today so I deactivated the connection and tried to set it up again.  Still getting the error message and can't connect.  Not sure if this is a fault of version 6.0 or not.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • Jay Baker
    Jay Baker Member ✭✭✭
    Still no dark mode support?
  • schwaggy
    schwaggy Member ✭✭✭
    > @Jay Baker said:
    > Still no dark mode support?

This! Came here to say the exact same thing. I realize it's a difficult proposition but a new universal app that supports Apple Silicone but no Dark Mode supports is just crazy. Quicken is the ONLY app I use that still doesn't have it. This is not some little feature we're clamoring for. We want it because our eyes and screen fatigue benefit from Dark Mode. When can we expect this, Quicken????
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2020
    @schwaggy @Jay Baker Maybe Marcus will reply and put a timeframe on it, but they've partly answered this on the existing thread about Dark Mode:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nice UI.  Kudos.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2020
    jacobs said:
    @schwaggy @Jay Baker Maybe Marcus will reply and put a timeframe on it, but they've partly answered this on the existing thread about Dark Mode:

I replied to the post that jacob referred to.  I'll summarize it here. Basically, dark mode is easy to turn on but hard to make look good and you can't turn it on halfway.  The entire app has to be redone before you can turn it on.  It's been a low priority put against all of the other features customers have wanted.  With that said, we'll take a look if that's still the case by surveying our beta customers and also looking at analytics data which will tell us how many customers are actually using dark mode. By the way, we like to get feedback from beta customers regarding where they would rank new features and also to get their opinion on future designs so if you would like to participate in that, please consider joining our beta program by going here.
  • Quicken Marcus
    RIck said:
    I updated yesterday before updating my accounts.  When I updated all accounts updated except for my Wells Fargo Asset Management account.  I received a message that said "Incorrect Customer ID or Password/PIN.   When I clicked the "Set Up" button and reentered the username & password, I got the same message.  I visited the Wells Fargo website using the same username & password and was able to log in so it isn't that their website was down.   Getting same message today so I deactivated the connection and tried to set it up again.  Still getting the error message and can't connect.  Not sure if this is a fault of version 6.0 or not.

Hi Rick, I don't think this is related to 6.0 but we did recently move Wells Fargo Quicken Connect to a new connectivity paradigm.  Are you using Direct Connect or Quicken Connect? It sounds like you did everything right so not sure what could be happening. Can you message me directly and tell me the error message you're seeing.  I also have Wells Fargo and I'm not seeing any issues so there's something specific to your connection that we'll have to figure out.  I don't have an asset management account so it's possible that maybe the difference.
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Marcus

I can't find a way to message you directly.  I just tried again and "Direct Connect" is the only option.  Quicken Connect is grayed out.  The bank selected is "Wells Fargo Asset Management" which is the correct bank.  Here is the screenshot of the error.  (I X'd out my real Login ID for this image.)

As I stated above, this worked Monday, updated to version 6 yesterday and now it doesn't connect.

• Quicken Marcus
    I checked with our connectivity investigation team and they are reporting that all customers at Wells Fargo Asset Management are seeing issues on both Quicken Windows and Mac. We've made an official inquiry to the bank and we'll work with them and our aggregation partners to fix the issue.  Thanks for reporting the problem. It is also nice to confirm that this is not a 6.0 issue.
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    Jay Baker said:
    Still no dark mode support?
    There’s a separate thread on this topic where @Quicken Marcus included a screenshot of a QMAC window in dark mode and gives us an idea of how much work is required to make this happen. 

• chris.olson
    chris.olson Member ✭✭
    Any feedback on getting rollover budget functionality?? I know this has been a planned feature for a long time. This is key functionality that's missing for me to start using Quicken for Mac. Everything I do is on Mac and it's frustrating that I have to keep a windows machine around just for the Quicken software!
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I checked with our connectivity investigation team and they are reporting that all customers at Wells Fargo Asset Management are seeing issues on both Quicken Windows and Mac. We've made an official inquiry to the bank and we'll work with them and our aggregation partners to fix the issue.  Thanks for reporting the problem. It is also nice to confirm that this is not a 6.0 issue.
    Thanks!   
  • Quicken Marcus
    Any feedback on getting rollover budget functionality?? I know this has been a planned feature for a long time. This is key functionality that's missing for me to start using Quicken for Mac. Everything I do is on Mac and it's frustrating that I have to keep a windows machine around just for the Quicken software!
    Hi Chris, Thanks for bringing budget rollover up in this post. By seeing it mentioned, it raises its profile. I can't comment on when or even if we'll add this feature but I'll say it ranked 24th in our last survey of requested features. I, personally, find it very useful and conceptually it's the way I think of budgeting and saving. This is the difficulty with prioritizing functionality like dark mode.  If we spend a bunch of time on dark mode it means we aren't working on budget rollover or another feature some customer finds critical. I think both are important features but there are always tradeoffs.
  • dmenning
    dmenning Member ✭✭
    Apart from the dark mode issue, the new color-less tab bar at the top gives the main window the washed out look of a background app. A continuation of the sidebar’s light grey hue would make sense for highlighting all the program’s navigation links and its foreground status, without taking away from the new look overall.
  • cracof
    cracof Member ✭✭
    I hope I have the correct “department” in expressing this problem in the new release. Here is my explanation that I placed in another thread earlier today in which a respondent expressed their same experience. The problem is in the stock transaction page

cracof Member ✭ 4:14PM in Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)
    November 19, 2020
    When I "reinvest dividend" of a stock I can add the dividend amount and number of shares..HOWEVER the price per share box remains gray (unlike previous versions) and when I save.. the investment Amt box remains empty. By not calculating the 'price per share' the basis of that stock will not be reflected accurately.
    Furthermore, when I have gone back to the transaction to try again and correct it the dividend amount I had entered is gone but the number of shares remains correct. I notified Customer Service and was told I would have to wait until the next version update. WHAT!!? Any ideas on how to get this to function accurately...and is this the correct forum to announce this problem?
    Thanks
  • magoodm
    magoodm Member ✭✭✭
    I agree with dmenning. The main window is pretty boring. Adding a tint to the top bar would be much more attractive.
  • Pattiann
    Pattiann Member
    I updated my quicken with 6.0.0 on mac yesterday. After that update, all my transfers (like from checking to my VISA) for the whole year disappeared. It shows in the checking section but not in the VISA part. Very frustrating. :*
  • jacobs
    edited November 2020
    @Quicken Marcus I'm just corroborating the post above from @cracof  In the current release, manually entering a reinvest dividend transaction is broken.

[EDIT: This bug has been fixed in the 6.0.1 release on 11/20/20.]

It allows me to enter the Dividend Amount and Number of Shares, but it does not calculate a Price per Share:

If I record this transaction, in the register it looks like this…

…showing no cost per share and no Invest Amt. 

By comparison, here's a Reinvest Dividend transaction in the same account for the same security entered previously in 5.18, showing the calculated cost per share and the amount of the dividend which was reinvested.

• chris.olson
    chris.olson Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus...Thanks you for your feedback on the rollover budget functionality. I completely understand the necessity of tradoffs when it comes to implementing features.

I'm curious, when and how do you send out these surveys for features? I've never been notified of a survey like this and would like to be able to give my input.

Thanks
  • jacobs
    @Quicken Marcus You addressed the topic of budget rollovers above, but I wonder if you could also comment on the prospect of updating the budget report to have an "as of" date.

In its current form, the budget-versus-actual report is useless to people 352 days a year, and only accurate on the last day of each month. (For instance, on October 31, the budget-versus-actual report will compare the year-do-date actual income and expenses from January 1 through October 31 to the budget from January through October. But on November 1, the report will compare actual spending from January 1 through November 1 to the budget for January through November -- 10 mons actual versus 11 months of budget.)

What users have been clamoring for is the ability to set their own date range for the budget report -- year-to-date through October, or perhaps 3rd quarter June through September. There are many comments on this forum that deride Quicken Mac because of the lack of a usable budget report, and many people who are frustrated that they need to continue using Quicken Windows for this one feature. Is this this functionality on the roadmap? Thanks.
  • jacobs
    I'm curious, when and how do you send out these surveys for features? I've never been notified of a survey like this and would like to be able to give my input.

@chris.olson If you read the reply by Marcus to another topic higher up in this thread, you'll see he indicates that the surveys are done with beta users, and he invites people who want to have input to join the beta program.

I'm a beta tester, but I don't know if that group, which tends to be Quicken power users, represents a good cross-section of the Quicken Mac user base. So I'd question whether that's the best way to measure the opinion of Quicken Mac users in general, but it seems to be where they derive some of their prioritization feedback.
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs
    I agree. I used to be a beta tester but I'm a moderate user and y'all tended to really dig down into the nuts and bolts.  I finally realized my "contributions" weren't necessary so I stopped.  

Maybe since Quicken has popups when one opens the app for update notifications, maintenance, etc. they could have a notification of a survey and a web link to it.  
  • jacobs
    @cracof The reinvest dividends bug was just fixed in the 6.0.1 release today. Thanks to the development team for fixing that one so quickly!
  • cracof
    cracof Member ✭✭
    Thanks Development team... AND DON'T EVUH ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN AGAIN!! ((-:
  • Quicken Marcus
    cracof said:
    I hope I have the correct “department” in expressing this problem in the new release. Here is my explanation that I placed in another thread earlier today in which a respondent expressed their same experience. The problem is in the stock transaction page

cracof Member ✭ 4:14PM in Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)
    November 19, 2020
    When I "reinvest dividend" of a stock I can add the dividend amount and number of shares..HOWEVER the price per share box remains gray (unlike previous versions) and when I save.. the investment Amt box remains empty. By not calculating the 'price per share' the basis of that stock will not be reflected accurately.
    Furthermore, when I have gone back to the transaction to try again and correct it the dividend amount I had entered is gone but the number of shares remains correct. I notified Customer Service and was told I would have to wait until the next version update. WHAT!!? Any ideas on how to get this to function accurately...and is this the correct forum to announce this problem?
    Thanks
    We fixed this in 6.0.1 which was just released. Let me know if that doesn't fix it for you.
  • cracof
    cracof Member ✭✭
    It does and thank you. My discovery yesterday and fixed today. Will miracles ever cease? ((-:
  • Quicken Marcus
    @Quicken Marcus...Thanks you for your feedback on the rollover budget functionality. I completely understand the necessity of tradoffs when it comes to implementing features.

Thanks
    Hi Chris, we do 4 types of surveys. Our beta users complete a survey with every release and they get to weigh in on the new features in the beta but also designs and new features before we start building them. We haven't given them a list of features and asked them to rank them since the 5.15 beta but I think it will make sense to do this for the upcoming 6.1 release. As jacobs says, we look at these customers as our hardcore, Quicken power users. They know the product better than we do.

We also do surveys that are presented to all customers in the form of a pop-up message that appears after quitting Quicken. This is usually only available for a day and as you might guess our most active users answer this survey.  We take it down once we hit a certain number of replies. This survey tends to be biased toward retired customers who typically make up almost half of the respondents.

Finally, we do email surveys to customers to try to reach the broadest set of people.  Sometimes we'll target customers who stopped using Quicken to find out why they left so we can hopefully address the issues and win them back or at least not lose other customers who have the same issues or concerns.

In terms of prioritization, we look at the results of all these surveys and combine that with the rankings that appear in the forums, letters to the president, care input, "report a problem" feedback, and general customer interactions to decide what we work on next.

Another key factor is timing. We like to focus on specific areas of the product to maximize our development effort.  If we have developers jump around from feature to feature, there's a lot of relearning that has to happen which isn't as efficient. For example, we've been focused on adding loan payments to budgets for the past few months but to get there we first added the ability to select specific accounts, and then we added transfers. Each of these were steps to help us reach our ultimate goal which is the ability to budget a detailed loan payment.

I would definitely sign-up for beta. There's no cost, you can run the beta app along with your real, production Quicken app, side-by-side, and when there's a new release you can dive in and take a look without impacting your actual Quicken file.  If you have time, you can answer the surveys and write up bugs but it's not required.  Beta customers have a lot of sway and input since they have a direct link with the development team and of course, they represent our hardcore users who have been with us for many years and we consider them as part of the Quicken family.

• Quicken Marcus
    Pattiann said:
    I updated my quicken with 6.0.0 on mac yesterday. After that update, all my transfers (like from checking to my VISA) for the whole year disappeared. It shows in the checking section but not in the VISA part. Very frustrating. :*
    I don't think we changed anything in this area in 6.0 that would break this functionality.  In your VISA account, can you click on the clock icon in the register on the right side of the screen that controls whether scheduled transaction instances are seen and change it to Next One Due or Next 30 days.  Just make sure the "Don't Show Reminders" is NOT selected.

Let us know if that worked or didn't work.
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus You addressed the topic of budget rollovers above, but I wonder if you could also comment on the prospect of updating the budget report to have an "as of" date.

In its current form, the budget-versus-actual report is useless to people 352 days a year, and only accurate on the last day of each month. (For instance, on October 31, the budget-versus-actual report will compare the year-do-date actual income and expenses from January 1 through October 31 to the budget from January through October. But on November 1, the report will compare actual spending from January 1 through November 1 to the budget for January through November -- 10 mons actual versus 11 months of budget.)

What users have been clamoring for is the ability to set their own date range for the budget report -- year-to-date through October, or perhaps 3rd quarter June through September. There are many comments on this forum that deride Quicken Mac because of the lack of a usable budget report, and many people who are frustrated that they need to continue using Quicken Windows for this one feature. Is this this functionality on the roadmap? Thanks.
    Quite honestly, this wasn't on my radar. Let me look into it more.
    Agree with this request from @jacobs. I miss this functionality.