Message saying account does not exist

Hello,
I need help figuring out how to get this account to "exist" again. I have one account, a citi credit card account, that suddenly when I try to enter the payment from my checking account or create a reminder for this payment, I get the message "account does not exist, Create a new account and then return to this activity" but it DOES exist and it has existed for a long time and I don't know what changed. I have tried resetting the citi card account but still get the message. I still get downloads for the citi account and every thing. It shows in my list of accounts on the account list menu but when entering transactions and categorizing them, this account does not show. It is in my main list, not separate and it not hidden. I can't figure out how to make this account "show" again. Please help.
Using Quicken home, business and rental 2020 version R30.10, just updated to latest build 27.1.30.10. Windows 10 Pro.
It has been this way through several updates, probably several months now.
TIA
Karen

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @karen m

So, since you actually do already have the account (which you want the payment to be charged against) setup in Quicken, what you are describing sounds like there may be a problem with your data file.  First another question - do you use the Quicken Mobile app and cloud?  If so, you might try disabling that first to see if it corrects the problem.

Otherwise, I suggest that you try troubleshooting your data file by following these instructions Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems.  Bur before you start that, make sure you backup your Quicken file just in case.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @karen m

Can you tell us whether you get a pop-up window as you start to enter the bracket in the category field?  And, if so, it the account you want to enter not on the list?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭✭
    So when I try to enter the account as the category in the register, it will initially show a drop down list which does not have this account on there and when I manually start to type, it will not show anything matching and if I try to enter the entire name, it will ask me if I want to add this "new" category.
    Weird thing is if I go back to an old transaction and add it as a reminder, it will let me but then if I try to enter the reminder in to the register, it will then say that account does not exist.
    I will try to attach screen shot of trying to enter a reminder
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @karen m

So, since you actually do already have the account (which you want the payment to be charged against) setup in Quicken, what you are describing sounds like there may be a problem with your data file.  First another question - do you use the Quicken Mobile app and cloud?  If so, you might try disabling that first to see if it corrects the problem.

Otherwise, I suggest that you try troubleshooting your data file by following these instructions Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems.  Bur before you start that, make sure you backup your Quicken file just in case.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.