Problem with identification of lots and capital gains

Options
I have an issue that is occurring in two of my investment accounts that I have had for many years. 

In both of the accounts, there is a cash fund that you purchase in/sell out of at $1/share. So it is a given that there should never be any capital gains or losses on the transactions for the cash fund.

But Quicken has started showing some gains/losses on these transactions.  I have reviewed all of my transactions to make sure that they were properly posted at $1/share on both the buy and sell side.  All are recorded properly.

But when I look at the lot assignment dialog box for the sales, some of the lots are showing gains/losses anyway.  And it has started showing shares remaining in lots that were completely sold years ago.

When I reviewed the Security Report for the cash funds, I found a couple of instances where the number of shares that is shown for a transaction is totally wrong (it shows a strange number like "4294867287"  in the share column but the proper amount of cash impact and the proper share price for each transaction).  So I tried to delete and re-post the transactions for these lots, but the strange number that is in the share column comes right back.

I have validated my Quicken file and rebuilt the investment lots.  Although a couple of errors were noted, correcting them changed nothing.

So I am at a loss as to what else I can try.  I am open to any suggestions anyone might have.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I tried to delete and re-post the transactions for these lots, but the strange number that is in the share column comes right back.
    In doing so, did you cut-and-paste the transaction, or delete it and type it in from scratch?  Second approach may be required.
    When I reviewed the Security Report for the cash funds, I found a couple of instances where the number of shares that is shown for a transaction is totally wrong (it shows a strange number like "4294867287"  in the share column but the proper amount of cash impact and the proper share price for each transaction). 
     Do you see the "strange" number of shares in the transaction list for the account?  Does that "strange" number follow up anywhere else in your presentations?  (Portfolio views, Security Details, other investment reports?)

Since you cite this as only recently developing, you may have to restore a backup file from before this behavior started.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i had some of these strange transactions some time back.... once I deleted them and manually re-entered the transactions, the issue went away.
  • Hilltop83
    Hilltop83 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    I definitely deleted and manually re-entered the transaction from scratch.  That's why I was so surprised to see the strange numbers reappear exactly as they had been.  I have deleted and re-entered transactions in the past to fix problems before and it always seemed to work.

The only place that I can see the strange numbers is if I create a Security Report on the Security Detail View window.  They do not show in the transaction register for the investment account or anywhere else that I can find.  I do have incorrect lot detail (that doesn't even agree to the total shares I actually have) but those lot numbers bear no resemblance to the 10-digit numbers I'm seeing on the Security Report.

I thought about restoring a back-up (and I have lots of them) but now I cannot figure out where the problem doesn't exist.  If I have to go back more than a short time, recreating everything would be impossible.
  • blueman
    blueman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Similar issue - following.