Downloaded transaction preferences

Options
klac
klac Member
Hello All,
New here, and new to Quicken for Mac. I have been using Quicken for Windows forever, and have downloaded transactions from all of my connected accounts. When I use Quicken for Mac (subscription base), the downloaded transactions are already entered into my register with the blue dot, instead of the way Windows handled my downloads. I have searched for a "switch" but cannot find anything, nor any topic of this. I want to download, and review accordingly, then 'accept' those transactions into the register. How is this possible? What am I missing?
TIA

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For better or worse, you're not missing anything. ;) Quicken Mac does not quarantine downloaded transactions until you approve them; they go directly into the registers, with a blue dot in the Status column.

You can mark them reviewed one at a time (click in the Status column and select "Mark as Reviewed" from the drop-down menu), by shift-clicking a group of them and then making them reviewed (right click on any of the selected transactions and choose "Set Status of Selected Transactions To > Reviewed"), or make them all reviewed in one shot (click in the Status column and select "Mark All Reviewed" from the drop-down menu).

If you click on the column header of the Status column, you can temporarily sort your register you group all transactions by Status; when you're done, click on the date heading to restore the normal date order. 

There is a long-running Idea thread on this forum asking for Quicken Mac to add functionality similar to Quicken Windows or the old Quicken Mac 2007 for reviewing transactions. It is marked as "Under Consideration", which means it has garnered a lot of suer votes and has been submitted to the developers -- but we don't know when or if they will decide to plan such a change. In the early years of Quicken Mac, there were some comments from the Mac product manager which indicated they thought this was a better system, and that users would agree if they used it for awhile and didn't compare it to what they were used to. Nevertheless, with 360 votes, this request has one of the highest vote totals among all feature enhancement requests.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken Mac doesn't have the "paycheck wizard" that I understand is in Quicken Windows, but it's pretty easy to set up your paycheck in Quicken Mac.

What you'l want to do is create a deposit transaction in your checking account, which you can then set to be a scheduled transaction on whatever schedule (weekly, biweekly, bi-monthly, etc.) you get paid.

Here's an example of how to enter a paycheck transaction:

The transaction amount is your net pay, since this is what's deposited into your checking account. In the splits, start with your gross pay, which you want to capture for tax purposes. Then have split lines for each withholding from your paycheck -- taxes, healthcare, retirement plans, etc. Notice in this example that the second-to-last line is a Transfer to a 401(k) account. If you have money withheld from your pay for such a plan, this is how to record it -- and in the 401(k) account, this will provide the cash for your purchases of securities in that account.

(Note that if your employer is also contributing to the 401(k), you will need to enter that cash into your 401(k) account as well. Since that's done in different ways -- some do it with each paycheck, some do it annually or at some other interval, I didn't include it in this example. The employer match is a little tricky, because it requires money to show up in your 401(k) account -- but where is it coming from? Well, it's a form of income, so you'll need an income sub-category for that. If you're doing it on each paycheck, most people do this by entering two offsetting splits: a positive amount using the  income sub-category for employer match, and a transfer of the same amount as a negative to the 401(k). If you just receive an annual/quarterly/monthly employer match deposit in your 401(k), then it wouldn't be part of your paycheck transactions; you could enter that directly in your 401(k) account as a deposit, with the income category for the employer match.)

Once you set up your paycheck transaction, click on it, click Schedule in the bottom toolbar, and select Schedule Selected Transaction. Se the appropriate schedule, and you'll be all set. If you have minor variations from paycheck to paycheck, after marking the scheduled transaction paid, you just double-click it to make whatever edits are necessary to match your paycheck stub. 

Post back if you have any questions.

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For better or worse, you're not missing anything. ;) Quicken Mac does not quarantine downloaded transactions until you approve them; they go directly into the registers, with a blue dot in the Status column.

You can mark them reviewed one at a time (click in the Status column and select "Mark as Reviewed" from the drop-down menu), by shift-clicking a group of them and then making them reviewed (right click on any of the selected transactions and choose "Set Status of Selected Transactions To > Reviewed"), or make them all reviewed in one shot (click in the Status column and select "Mark All Reviewed" from the drop-down menu).

If you click on the column header of the Status column, you can temporarily sort your register you group all transactions by Status; when you're done, click on the date heading to restore the normal date order. 

There is a long-running Idea thread on this forum asking for Quicken Mac to add functionality similar to Quicken Windows or the old Quicken Mac 2007 for reviewing transactions. It is marked as "Under Consideration", which means it has garnered a lot of suer votes and has been submitted to the developers -- but we don't know when or if they will decide to plan such a change. In the early years of Quicken Mac, there were some comments from the Mac product manager which indicated they thought this was a better system, and that users would agree if they used it for awhile and didn't compare it to what they were used to. Nevertheless, with 360 votes, this request has one of the highest vote totals among all feature enhancement requests.
  • klac
    klac Member
    Options
    Thanks Jacobs.
    Different topic, but similar, I cannot seem to enter my 'paycheck' in the same way I used to in Windows. I cannot even find how to enter it (and adjust) in the Mac version. Maybe I am missing this?
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken Mac doesn't have the "paycheck wizard" that I understand is in Quicken Windows, but it's pretty easy to set up your paycheck in Quicken Mac.

What you'l want to do is create a deposit transaction in your checking account, which you can then set to be a scheduled transaction on whatever schedule (weekly, biweekly, bi-monthly, etc.) you get paid.

Here's an example of how to enter a paycheck transaction:

The transaction amount is your net pay, since this is what's deposited into your checking account. In the splits, start with your gross pay, which you want to capture for tax purposes. Then have split lines for each withholding from your paycheck -- taxes, healthcare, retirement plans, etc. Notice in this example that the second-to-last line is a Transfer to a 401(k) account. If you have money withheld from your pay for such a plan, this is how to record it -- and in the 401(k) account, this will provide the cash for your purchases of securities in that account.

(Note that if your employer is also contributing to the 401(k), you will need to enter that cash into your 401(k) account as well. Since that's done in different ways -- some do it with each paycheck, some do it annually or at some other interval, I didn't include it in this example. The employer match is a little tricky, because it requires money to show up in your 401(k) account -- but where is it coming from? Well, it's a form of income, so you'll need an income sub-category for that. If you're doing it on each paycheck, most people do this by entering two offsetting splits: a positive amount using the  income sub-category for employer match, and a transfer of the same amount as a negative to the 401(k). If you just receive an annual/quarterly/monthly employer match deposit in your 401(k), then it wouldn't be part of your paycheck transactions; you could enter that directly in your 401(k) account as a deposit, with the income category for the employer match.)

Once you set up your paycheck transaction, click on it, click Schedule in the bottom toolbar, and select Schedule Selected Transaction. Se the appropriate schedule, and you'll be all set. If you have minor variations from paycheck to paycheck, after marking the scheduled transaction paid, you just double-click it to make whatever edits are necessary to match your paycheck stub. 

Post back if you have any questions.
  • klac
    klac Member
    Options
    thanks for the help!!
This discussion has been closed.