Tax Planner and Import data from TurboTax

I wanted to make use of the Tax Planner feature and noticed an option to use data from TurboTax. The option was greyed out so I researched a bit and found that I could import data from a TurboTax file - File/FIle Import/TurboTax File.

I selected that option and successfully imported my 2019 TT file.
I went back to the tax planner, hoping to select the option to use TT data, but it is still greyed out.

What am I doing wrong? How do I activate the Tax Planner's option to use TT data?

Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    just to check - what version ..... and your expiration date
    Help --> About Quicken
    Do you mean, like here - which specific field are you looking at ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• franks59
    franks59 Member ✭✭
    Yes, that's the option I'm looking at, except the year is 2019, although 2020 is the same.

Quicken Premier for Windows
    Year:2020
    Version: R30.14
    Build: 27.1.30.14
    Membership valid until: Monday, January 24, 2022
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @franks59

The problem could be that the field you are in doesn't have any imported data from 2019.  When that happens the tax planer defaults to data from the current Quicken file.  Try clicking on some different fields to see if the TT data was imported.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• franks59
    franks59 Member ✭✭
    I definitely have TurboTax data for the fields I'm interested in. I also have Quicken data for them, but it's not as complete as the TT data.

However, there's something definitely weird going on here.
    I clicked through various Schedules until I came to Schedule F - Farm Income.

I have no Farm Income, but I noticed that TurboTax was selected, but greyed out. Both "User Entered and "Quicken Data" were active, so I clicked "User Entered". "User Entered" was selected, but TurboTax was still selected also, and still greyed out.

I went to another schedule and then back to Schedule F. "User Entered" was still selected and this time TurboTax was not selected, but still greyed out.

So it seems as though TurboTax is never a user option - if there's Quicken data or User Entered data, it will use that, but you never have the option to use TurboTax instead. Only if there's no other data will it default to TurboTax.

As far as I can see there's zero information in the help file about using TurboTax data - just how to import it - so I'm guessing the above must be the case.
    F1.jpg 232.8K
    F2.jpg 252.5K
    F3.jpg 251.3K
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @franks59

Yes, I think you are correct - both data entered in various current year Quicken accounts and data that you specifically enter into the tax planner will override last years TT imported data.  It actually makes sense, since when planning, especially with respect tax planning, one would typically default to "more recent" data instead of information that is at least a year-old.

But I guess Quicken guidance could use improvement...

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankx said:  data entered in various current year Quicken accounts and data that you specifically enter into the tax planner will override last years TT imported data.
    I haven't tried playing around with the TT Import...
    BUT - I would prefer it all to be selectable.  A lot of my mutual funds only pay out Cap Gains at the very end of the year... so Tax Planning now is missing all that info - unless I could use the data from TT... which of course, has all those numbers.
    In my case - I just add an "adjustment" to the Cap Gains screen...but still -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.