correcting an error

Options
s
s Member ✭✭
Hello, we have two accounts within quicken. I accidentally itemized my cc statement in the wrong account for the last couple months. I discovered this when I went to reconcile today.

Is there an easy way to correct this or do I have to start from scratch and delete the information I made the incorrect account.

Thank you
Steve

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @s

You don;t need to "start from scratch". You can move those transactions from the wrong register to the correct register as follows,

If all the transactions are contiguous:
    1) In the register - click on the first transaction so that it is highlighted;
    2) Hold down the "shift" key and Move down (or Page down) until you get to the last transaction > click on the last transaction (the entire list of transactions should be highlighted;
    3) While still holding down the "shift" key - Right Click and select "Cut transaction(s);
    4) Then open up the correct register and place the cursor in the first open transaction field, then Right Click and select "Paste transaction(s);

If the entries aren't contiguous, generally follow the above instructions in batches.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• s
    s Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you Frankx

That process works for unsplit entries

A bit more detail

A payee is a visa and the categories are split entries. If that makes sense.

Is there a way to cut and paste that entire entry that is split into a different register?

Or is it that I just highlight the one line without worrying about the split the entry will transfer?

Thanks again

Steve Wingate

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @s

You don;t need to "start from scratch". You can move those transactions from the wrong register to the correct register as follows,

If all the transactions are contiguous:
    1) In the register - click on the first transaction so that it is highlighted;
    2) Hold down the "shift" key and Move down (or Page down) until you get to the last transaction > click on the last transaction (the entire list of transactions should be highlighted;
    3) While still holding down the "shift" key - Right Click and select "Cut transaction(s);
    4) Then open up the correct register and place the cursor in the first open transaction field, then Right Click and select "Paste transaction(s);

If the entries aren't contiguous, generally follow the above instructions in batches.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• s
    s Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you Frankx

That process works for unsplit entries

A bit more detail

A payee is a visa and the categories are split entries. If that makes sense.

Is there a way to cut and paste that entire entry that is split into a different register?

Or is it that I just highlight the one line without worrying about the split the entry will transfer?

Thanks again

Steve Wingate
  • s
    s Member ✭✭
    Options
    Frankx!!!!!!
    That worked perfect! It was a HUGE timesaver, and kept all the SPLIT transaction details!
    Thank you!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are you entering your credit card statement?  You should not be splitting it out.

Just in case you are doing it the wrong way,

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.