What are QuickenFile.local.QDF and QuickenFile.remote.QDF files??

I'm not new to Quicken but it's the only category that makes sense. Just this evening, I start up Quicken and it's looking for the data file even though I know I had used the program in the morning. I browse to the right directory and I see TWO QDF files instead of just one that I expected.

What I expected was my QuickenFile.QDF is now two files, one named QuickenFile.local.QDF and the other is QuickenFile.remote.QDF. Both files have the same KB size but the local had a date modified stamp that is about 2 hours later than the remote.QDF file.

Can anyone tell me how these two file came to be? I don't remember Quicken updating. I only use one laptop.

Answers

• Reysanp
    Reysanp Member ✭✭
    This may possibly be related to me syncing the directory where my quicken file resides to a cloud directory. But I have the sync as a one way sync - from my local to the cloud.

Is it possible for me to just save the file as QuickenFile.QDF and delete the .remote.QDF and .local.QDF files?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I have never even remotely (heh) heard of this before. Which cloud service are you using? That must be responsible. Does your actual data file live in a cloud-monitored folder? That's not recommended. Move it out of a cloudy location and into the sunlight of your local hard drive.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Reysanp
    Reysanp Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > I have never even remotely (heh) heard of this before. Which cloud service are you using? That must be responsible. Does your actual data file live in the cloud? That's not recommended. Move it out of a cloudy location and into the sunlight of your local hard drive.

I don't think it matters which cloud service but it's syncing to IceDrive which I just acquired. I also have pCloud but I do a manual sync to that and I've been doing that for a couple of years. I just work on the file that is on my local hard drive. The files in the cloud are suppose to be just copies in case I lose my local drive. I wanted to try the auto sync to have minimize any data loss. The two are lifetime subscription and they're two in case one of them dies before me.

It would have been quicken who had created the new files. I may have accessed the data file while it was being copied to the cloud.
This discussion has been closed.