Import or Copy/Paste Transactions in Quicken Mac From ".quicken" Files on Same Mac

I have two separate ".quicken" data files managed by the same Mac using Quicken Version 6.0.3 (Build 600.37136.100), and macOS 10.15.7.

On the same Mac, I want to import the transactions from the smaller data file into the larger data file. After that, all future transactions will be managed by the updated larger file.

I will replicate the smaller file accounts with on-line downloads in the larger file.

Can I then import the smaller transactions by either: (1) importing the entire ".quicken" file using the Mac import tool; (2) copying/pasting transactions from the smaller file to the larger file; or (3) must I import the smaller records into the larger file using a ".CSV" file?

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    1) You can only open another Quicken file or import it into a new file. You can import a Mac Quicken file (in .quicken format) into another file.

2) You can't have two files open at the same time, so drag and drop doesn't work. There isn't a copy/paste option for whole transactions either.

3) CSV format is not exportable and it only importable for specialize Mint files.

However, there is one format that is both exportable and importable in QMac. That is the QXF format (not to be confused with QFX bank records format). Here's what you should do:

A) Make copies or backups of both files in case of problems.

B ) Make a copy of the smaller file to work in. 

C) In the copy of the smaller file, delete everything (all accounts) that you do NOT want imported into the large file (because QXF export only works on whole files).

D) Export the small file to QXF using menu File > Export > Quicken Transfer File.

E) Import this file to the large file using menu File > Import > Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF).

This should import the account that you left intact in the small file into the large one. The import process is not always perfect. Be sure to check for errors, correct balances, etc.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gary Willett
    Gary Willett Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    RickO:
    Your instructions worked super fantastically! Thank you so much for your help!

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    1) You can only open another Quicken file or import it into a new file. You can import a Mac Quicken file (in .quicken format) into another file.

2) You can't have two files open at the same time, so drag and drop doesn't work. There isn't a copy/paste option for whole transactions either.

3) CSV format is not exportable and it only importable for specialize Mint files.

However, there is one format that is both exportable and importable in QMac. That is the QXF format (not to be confused with QFX bank records format). Here's what you should do:

A) Make copies or backups of both files in case of problems.

B ) Make a copy of the smaller file to work in. 

C) In the copy of the smaller file, delete everything (all accounts) that you do NOT want imported into the large file (because QXF export only works on whole files).

D) Export the small file to QXF using menu File > Export > Quicken Transfer File.

E) Import this file to the large file using menu File > Import > Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF).

This should import the account that you left intact in the small file into the large one. The import process is not always perfect. Be sure to check for errors, correct balances, etc.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gary Willett
    Gary Willett Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    RickO:
    Your instructions worked super fantastically! Thank you so much for your help!
This discussion has been closed.