Filtering and Combining Search Results?

Options
dcmaia
dcmaia Member ✭✭
Hello!

I'm on Quicken 6.0.3. I have a feeling this is a bit of an easy question, and I'm just missing something here. So I apologize in advance!

I'm looking at my transactions, and I want to be able to just see bigger purchases. Is there a way I can filter and search for, say, all negative (spending) transactions over $1000, that don't have the word "transfer"? I can search for specific amounts and specific keywords, but I can't figure out how to search by excluding a keyword or by amount threshold.

I thought I could get around this by maybe trying to implement a tag called 'Big Purchase' for anything over $1000, but I don't think QuickFill rules can auto-populate a tag based on an amount threshold.

I then tried going over to Reports, and maybe create a Spending report that filters out any Transfers and any transactions under $1000 across all categories, but I still couldn't figure it out.

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, I'm sure a feature like this is here somewhere, but I just can't find it! Cheers!

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    No, there isn't any filtering like that (boolean, wildcards, etc.). You basically can search by the string, and can limit searching to certain fields.

You can use sorting here, though. If you search by the transaction amount, then you can see the larger expenditures. Click on the column header to make that the sort key. You can click again to toggle ascending/descending. Click on the date column to reset normal usage. 

Answers

• John_in_NC
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    No, there isn't any filtering like that (boolean, wildcards, etc.). You basically can search by the string, and can limit searching to certain fields.

You can use sorting here, though. If you search by the transaction amount, then you can see the larger expenditures. Click on the column header to make that the sort key. You can click again to toggle ascending/descending. Click on the date column to reset normal usage. 
  • dcmaia
    dcmaia Member ✭✭
    Options
    @John_in_NC I see. Thank you for the asnwer!

When I search by amount, say $100, I get everything with that exact amount plus anything that ends in 100 (like a purchase of 2100), but nothing that costs 101, 102, etc... So it doesn't really work in that sense. Not to mention that there are a lot of transfers littering the list...

So this is simply not possible? Wow, I was sure I was just missing something. At least I don't feel dumb anymore! :P

How can I suggest a feature?
  • John_in_NC
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Yes, advanced search capabilities would be nice, and I have requested it before as well. It saves having to run some convoluted report to find a quick answer.

You can go to the link below if you want to enter ideas to improve the product:

https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-ideas-quicken-for-mac

This discussion has been closed.