Portfolio Value report contains security balance error

Options
A line item in the Portfolio Value report regarding 3,984.68 shares having share price of $16.118 shows Balance of $11,418.86 instead of $64,225.14. The full Portfolio page shows the correct amount (Market Value)

This reporting error persists when I change the Date filter and the Subtotal setting. I have Validated the file and no relevant data errors showed up. All other line items in this report are correct.

How can a simple inline calculation in a stock report be flat wrong? How can I fix this?

Best Answer

• PeterG
    PeterG Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Issue identified: The stock Portfolio Report calculates wrong balance for stock that underwent a stock split rendering it useless for serious investors.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is this a newly created Portfolio Value report, or one that you have saved and are calling up from the saved set?  At times, reports that have been saved get errors going through program conversion and update processes and then need to be re-generated.  
  • PeterG
    PeterG Member ✭✭
    Options
    @q_lurker This is a newly generated Portfolio Value report.

Again, a simple calculation where balance = shares x price for a specific mutual fund is flat wrong. The balance/market value for the same fund in the overall Portfolio View is correct and other line items are also correct. This might point to an odd data issue but file Validation turns up nothing.

I have just updated to version R30.19 and the error persists in a freshly run report.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My anecdotal observation:  even when a simple across the line multiplication seems the clear choice, programmers seem to have a different way of getting there.  In a case like this, they may be looking up the price one place, adding up shares from a different place, and pulling market value from a yet different internal table. Why?  I'm not in a position to say.  Just my limited (and unsubstantiated) observation.  

Since you are working with a fresh report, you might go back to the last relevant transaction for that security and delete and then freshly re-enter it.  (One that changes the share count.)  Maybe that would trigger a corrected calculation.  

Since you can vary the ending date of the portfolio value report, you might see if you can discern any significant dates when that line for that security went astray.  Then do the delete re-enter for that applicable transaction.

A file validation that includes rebuilding lots might also be in order.  (conventional wisdom says copy the file and validate the copy).    
  • PeterG
    PeterG Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Issue identified: The stock Portfolio Report calculates wrong balance for stock that underwent a stock split rendering it useless for serious investors.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have over 200 stock splits in my records with no such errors.

How in your data file is the stock split recorded, presented, shown or documented?  What was the company -- meaning was there something unusual about the transaction?  It should be a simple StkSplt transaction, but financial institutions don't always pass it on that way.   
This discussion has been closed.