Quicken won't let me create a new buy/sell transaction with recently added security.

Chelo
Chelo Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I recently added a new security and successfully created one (1) transaction record in my brokerage account. When I tried to create another transaction with the same security, it doesn't show up in my drop-down list (along with all my other securities). When I click on "add new security," I can clearly see it in my list of held securities. Why won't it let me create another transaction record?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chelo
    Chelo Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I called Quicken's support. It's a bug. The security I was adding was an Index fund. As soon as you change the security type from "index" to "other," it starts behaving. Yeesh!

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    My first thought would be to quit Quicken and re-launch. It may be as simple as that.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Chelo
    Chelo Member ✭✭
    That was the first thing I tried. It didn't help to quit/relaunch, shutdown/restart my mac. Quicken is up to date (vers 6.0.3).
  • Chelo
    Chelo Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I called Quicken's support. It's a bug. The security I was adding was an Index fund. As soon as you change the security type from "index" to "other," it starts behaving. Yeesh!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chelo said:

The Security Type "Index" is reserved for Market Indices like the Dow Jones, S&P, etc.
    Please change your Security Type to "Mutual Fund"
    Thanks for letting us know that you found the solution to your problem.
  • Chelo
    Chelo Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > The Security Type "Index" is reserved for Market Indices like the Dow Jones, S&P, etc.
    > Please change your Security Type to "Mutual Fund"Thanks for letting us know that you found the solution to your problem.

Basically, I was just trying to put in the bitcoin work-around. If I want to tie the value of my "security" to an index, why would/should it cause an issue? It's these kinds of difficulties that frustrate me about Quicken. Sometimes it seems it's needlessly complicated. I'm just thankful that the quicken community is so supportive and that they've finally made support more accessible.
This discussion has been closed.